Monday, November 21, 2005

Temp goes up, temp goes down, ...

... temp goes up, temp goes dooooown. Period arrives.


The college reunion was fun. I saw a couple of old classmates, mostly guys, many of which still single (THE question is not on their minds yet). After dinner, my friend told me the story of how he got together with his girlfriend. A classic tale of how good friends turn into lovers.

The next morning my temperature plummeted. Hope started arguing with me that this could just be a dip, can't be sure till your period arrives, ... I ushered her out of the door quickly and decided this cycle was over. I indulged in two cups of coffee for breakfast. Mhhmm, caffeïne.

As you will recall, I was planning to visit my friend and her two-week old baby that very same day. For I minute, I thought of cancelling, but it's not that often that I get to see her and besides, I need to practice visiting newborns for when my SILs give birth.
I'm glad I went. The baby is adorable. I gave him his bottle and got to burp him and hold him for a while. I truly enjoyed it. Even listening to my friend's concerns and minor complaints (just one or true) didn't really bother me. This visit was all about her and her new baby, not about my IF.

Have I suddenly become a saint? Am I now looking forward to becoming an aunt? Forget it. One foot out of the door and I felt like I was going to break down and cry.
I don't expect I will get much opportunity to cuddle my nephew's/nieces: too many other candidates.

That evening we celebrated my grandfather's birthday with a nice family dinner.
I enjoyed the food and the wine. The evening ended rather early, as my grandparents are morning people. I am an evening person, and went to bed very late, after reading my blogroll.

Sunday morning, my temp was up again. Hope came knocking on the door again, but I didn't answer it. Late night + alcohol = temp spike. Surely enough, today my temp was down and my period arrived. That makes a luteal phase of exactly 14 days. I've already rescheduled my next appointment with Dr. Sunshine for an u/s on day 14.

There is one tiny upside to this BFN. I'm not the complete ART novice I was last month. See that scratch there?
If I had gotten PG on my very first Clo.mid cycle, I fear I would have been unceremoniously kicked of IF island. Tarred and feathered and kicked out. It's ridiculous, I know, but among all the experienced IF'ers I read, I feel I should keep quiet.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 22 November, 2005 02:07, Blogger zhl said...

Actually, I think the first failure, whether it be the first Clomid, first Clomid/IUI, first IVF, etc., is always the most difficult, because Hope seems to be the highest then. By the second or third time, Hope barely says hello.

So sorry I wasn't able to kick you off the island.

 
At 22 November, 2005 21:11, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Dang! I was hoping to scratch you off my bloglist haha! Sorry this month was a dud. Onwards and upwards?

 
At 23 November, 2005 07:08, Blogger LabiaLady said...

I hope that you get to stay a novice and that your visit to IF Island is short.

 
At 24 November, 2005 03:57, Blogger Ova Girl said...

Hey, a short trip's a good trip.

 
At 24 November, 2005 04:52, Blogger Sandy said...

Well, since you're going to be hanging out here on the island with us for at least another few weeks...let's put umbrellas in our drinks next time shall we? So sorry this month was a bust for you.

 
At 24 November, 2005 17:58, Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I agree, the best trip to IF island is a short one. Best wishes that your journey here is brief.

 
At 25 November, 2005 00:03, Blogger Lut C. said...

Thanks for the good wishes.

I was just checking out some real estate on the island. Maybe I should stick to the tent for a little while longer. ;-)

 
At 25 November, 2005 10:18, Blogger Mony said...

Sounds like you have earned your IF badges honourably honey! None of us want to wear them but, wear them we will. There will always be a fellow IF gal who has fought longer, harder & messier than yourself but we all rspect and encourage each other no matter where we are in the journey. Ranks need not apply, with compassion and a tentative ear, we are all Major General's in this army.... as long as we're there for our fellow comrades!
I am adding you to my blogroll, ok?

 

<< Home