Tuesday, January 03, 2006

All systems go

The consult with dr. Sunshine went well. This won't be a coherent post, just some things I need to write down, so I can go back to work and concentrate.

She was about 45 minutes late, because she was delivering a baby (some people are so lucky). Good thing I brought a book along to read. Their magazines are utterly boring.

During my consult, she divulged that she was pregnant. I blinked, didn't even congratulate her (how rude!). Wasn't the idea here to get ME PG? She didn't tell me to taunt me, it came up in relation to HSG and radiation.

But first came the obligatory wanding. Dr. Sunshine does this herself, no technicians here. (And by the way, what on earth are Nurse Practitioners? Something evil I gather. Doctor wannabes?)

It turns out my right ovary was sulking the past few days. It has clearly succumbed to the mighty powers of Clo*mid and has produced a fine 2.5 cm follicle. Lining is good too. So we're all set to go.

Small detail, DH is going out this evening for a new year's dinner with work. I sent him an SMS a text message telling him not to get too drunk or stay out too late. We'll see what happens. Well, at least he's in town.

I did ask dr. Sunshine about the next immediate steps in my treatment. One good follicle does not a PG make (see cycles 1 and 2). She's very happy with my response to Clo*mid, this is exactly the result she's looking for. She would like me to continue with another 3 cycles, without any further monitoring. (This is two more than the initial 4 I had agreed to).
The next step is doing an HSG test. Generally, she does this herself, but in her blessed state she can't. However, she can refer me to her colleague in the same practice who is an OB/GYN specialized in IF. I don't have to wait until the last Clo*mid cycle to do the HSG. I told her I would probably get in touch with her after cycle 4.
We didn't really go into what happens after the HSG, it all depends on the results. The terms IUI and IVF were dropped (cue ominous music).

This cycle is much better than cycle 2 and resembles cycle 1. I think doing another 3 cycles is doable, if I can get the HSG over and done with in the mean time. Having the IF OB/GYN do the HSG is as good a way as any to make his acquaintance and perhaps move on into his care completely.

My head was spinning a bit when I left the doctor's office. An lo and behold who was waiting for me at the door, (no not DH), it was Hope of course. She's chattering away at me, "this will be the one, you'll see", has reinstated Prohibition and struck coffee off the menu all in the course of a 10-minute bus-ride back home. Nothing a quick visit to the Pharmacy can't cure, I didn't get val.ium or pro.zac, not at all. The customer in front of me had a toddler, the one behind me a preschooler and of course the lady behind the counter was visibly PG. Oh, and I told you even my doctor is PG, right? Feet landed back on earth firmly. PG abounds, but only elsewhere, I get it.**

Hope is a persistent little thing. She's pounding on the door, pleading with me to let her in. I'm doing my best to ignore her for now, but I'm sure she'll slip in when DH gets home. It doesn't matter, I should try to enjoy the highs, because I have to endure the lows anyway.

** I stand by my right to be cautiously pessimistic.
I should get this book: "The Positive Power of Negative Thinking: Using Defensive Pessimism to Harness Anxiety and Perform at Your Peak". Oro talked about it on her blog once.

4 Comments:

At 04 January, 2006 03:15, Anonymous Lori said...

I'm glad the consult went well but how inconsiderate that Dr. Sunshine went and got pregnant. She's got some nerve.
As for the HSG definitely a good thing to do. It sucks but at least the worst part is over quickly.
And now I've got another book to add to my list...

 
At 04 January, 2006 04:18, Blogger Sparkle said...

Sounds the clo.mid is doing the trick. Keep the fluids up!
Pregnant doctor - yikes, I'd find that hard, maybe that's why I only seem to have men. Getting HSG out of the way early is great - especially since there is a theory around that it's easier to get pregnant the month following.

 
At 04 January, 2006 04:18, Blogger Sparkle said...

Oops, sorry forgot to thank you for the link!

 
At 04 January, 2006 17:05, Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Coming out of lurker status to wish you good luck. Compared to Clo.mid, the HSG was a piece of cake for me! Keeping fingers crossed for nice, clear tubes...

 

<< Home