Friday, January 20, 2006

Question: Clo*mid between day 3-8 or day 5-9?

After a mere 2 phone calls to Dr. Sunshine I now have an appointment scheduled for an HSG.
Because the other doctor is at a conference next week, the appointment is as late as CD 14.

I know HSG's are always performed in the first half of a cycle. I've heard (on the grapevine) that preferably they're done before CD 10. So I was a bit surprised, but I'll trust their judgement on this.
Dr. Sunshine specifically asked me to confirm that I have rather long cycles. Without medication, I have cycles of 36 days on average. With Clo*mid my average has been 31 days, with ovulation on or after CD 15. So it is cutting it fine.

Twice I forgot to ask Dr. Sunshine whether I should skip Clo*mid this time around. I'm assuming she would have told me if that were the case. Nonetheless, I'm in doubt of what I should do. I could take the tablets a little later than usual, CD 5-9 in stead of CD 3-8. Wouldn't this delay ovulation a day or two? That would suit me much better. It would allow me some time to recover before it's time to get back into the swing of it, so to speak. I don't think freshly radiated nethers are particularly appealing to DH.

I'm reluctant to deviate from the doc's instructions. But it's not like I'm doing IVF. Clo*mid is such a mild stimulant that it is sold over the counter (?!) or prescribed by GP's that don't bother with u/s monitoring. The drug leaflet instructs use between CD 5-9, so how wrong can it be?

What do you think? Have any of you been told to take Clo*mid from CD 5-9? Or is this practice out of date?

I want to thank you all for the encouraging comments. I'm glad to hear that I have a good chance of not suffering too much pain.

10 Comments:

At 21 January, 2006 20:23, Blogger Vacant Uterus said...

It's fine to take Clomid starting on Day 5. I was told I could start anywhere between days 3 and 5 and I started on Day 5 because Sarge was in the hospital. Turns out the dose was too low but starting it later didn't ahve any effect. Good luck!

 
At 21 January, 2006 21:31, Anonymous Kim said...

I got pregnant twice taking Clomid on days 5-9. I think you will be fine. Good luck!

 
At 22 January, 2006 15:58, Blogger Ladybug Ann said...

My doctor prescribes it for CD 5 to 9. Good luck!

 
At 22 January, 2006 23:04, Blogger Beth said...

I think taking it later would be fine for you. You asked how I knew about the pastor on my blog, first his email and second I use Stat Counter. Best wishes with your upcoming HSG.

 
At 22 January, 2006 23:35, Blogger Sparkle said...

I took clomid days 5 to 9 everytime I took it. Good idea to give yourself the window following the HSG. Waiting for my cd1 to book mine.

 
At 23 January, 2006 23:44, Blogger Bronwyn said...

My dr. always prescribed it days 5-9 (though, of course, it hasn't exactly been successful for me). And is it really sold over the counter in Europe? That's great!

 
At 24 January, 2006 00:53, Anonymous Manuela said...

Hey you!!

I just tried to email you in response to the comment you left for me but it bounced back...
can you fire me an email with your address on it?? manuelam@telus.net

Thanks!

 
At 25 January, 2006 00:19, Blogger Lut C. said...

Cl*mid is sold over the counter in my country. I don't know about the others.

 
At 25 January, 2006 00:23, Blogger Ornery said...

I've had doctors tell me Day 3 or Day 5, so either is fine.

Good luck with the HSG!

 
At 26 January, 2006 08:26, Anonymous thalia said...

It's probably fine to take it 5-9 but be aware that this won't necessarily delay ovulation. What clomid does is recruit more follicles early in the cycle, it doesn't stimulate follicle development like the gonadotrophins do. So regardless of when you take it you may still ovulate near to day 15.

 

<< Home