Wednesday, February 01, 2006

X-ray vision

The HSG is over and done with. Everything went well.

First I had to go to the clinic for a PG test. Dr. Sunshine had warned me about this. It didn't bother me, it's a good precaution I suppose. The nurse was very nice about it, almost apologetic. After the test, I was off to radiology.

For those just tuning in, dr. Sunshine - my ob/gyn - couldn't do the HSG herself, since she's PG. She asked her colleague, dr. A, to do it for her.

So now I've had the pleasure of meeting dr. A for the first time, while sitting on an X-ray table bare from the waist down. Fabulous.
He explained the procedure to me quickly and then got cracking.

The procedure wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't more than uncomfortable. No searing pain or heavy cramping, so I was fortunate. Perhaps it was the pain killer I had taken beforhand, or the breathing exercise I was doing, and I suppose the doctor's experience and skill had something to do with it. Probably a little of all three.

I could see the monitor all the while, which was good. The dye spilled out into my abdomen immediately, so my tubes are open. After a couple of snapshots were taken, the doctor took the time to review them quickly with me on the screen. He told me I have a heartshaped uterus (arcuate) because there is a slight dent or bulge at the top. He assured me that this should not pose any problems to getting pregnant. I doesn't look like I have a septum or bicornute uterus. A quick tour in Google indicates the same.

Afterwards I asked the dr. if it was safe to TTC this cycle, he said it was.
We also discussed briefly dr. Sunshine's current treatment plan: continue Clo.mid for another two cycles after this one. He thought this was a good plan, but also told me to come see him if it didn't work out.

I had been planning to schedule an appointment with him within the next couple of weeks, and perhaps push for injectibles or IUI. But when I spoke with him, I didn't have the courage to bring it up. His endorsement of dr. Sunshine's treatment makes me feel a lot better about sticking with it. It's an illusion that I can speed up my treatment much more. I've already saved some time by doing the HSG now. And if I think about it, 2,5 cycles isn't THAT long to wait.

Over all, I was very satisfied with the way this procedure went. Especially when they gave me a sanitary napkin afterwards, how thoughtful! Dr. Albatros was very nice today, which is a weight off my mind. I don't feel the need to go in search of yet another doctor.

I know a number of women have gotten PG right after an HSG, but I don't want to get my hopes up. This morning, I observed some EWCM, so it's entirely possible that O is already over. That would mean that this cycle is literally flushed and my egg is bouncing around in my abdomen somewhere. More likely, O will happen in the following days.
S.ex doesn't sound too appealing right now. For one, there's pink colored dye coming out of me. The bright red accompanying it is blood I guess. There goes my lining.
However reasonable I may look at it now, I bet hope will creep in by the time this cycle draws to a close.

Unless I'm missing something, these results also mean we're still clueless as to what is the cause of our IF. I didn't expect to find the answer with this test, so this doesn't really trouble me. The prospect of waiting some more is less appealing, but I'll just have to deal with it.

14 Comments:

At 01 February, 2006 19:09, Blogger Mellie said...

No bad news = good news. So, you're taking clomid but not doing IUI with it? And it's true that just having an HSG works wonders for some people. May you be one of them!

 
At 02 February, 2006 01:04, Anonymous Manuela said...

I'm so glad your hsg went smoothly... mine wasn't bad either... here's hoping it does the job.

 
At 02 February, 2006 01:24, Blogger Roma Tekovi said...

Congratulations on getting the HSG over with!

Gentle hugs!

 
At 02 February, 2006 01:54, Blogger S said...

I'm glad that everything went well today with the HSG. My RE told me that, because of the type of dye that they use, there is a higher chance of getting pregnant for a few months following an HSG-you never know.

Sending hugs and a bottle of Captain Valium to help you along...

:)

 
At 02 February, 2006 04:11, Anonymous Lori said...

So glad to hear you got the all clear and the hsg went well. I hope you fall into the "more fertile after an hsg" category and don't have to worry about too many next steps.

 
At 02 February, 2006 06:22, Blogger InDueTime said...

Hugs!! I am glad everything was at least clear so far! Glad you made it through with minimal pain as well. Hugs

 
At 02 February, 2006 12:01, Anonymous thalia said...

It's great news that your tubes are open and that your uterus looks good. What a relief!

 
At 02 February, 2006 15:33, Blogger fisher queen said...

I'm glad it went well.

 
At 02 February, 2006 17:09, Anonymous Alexa said...

I am very glad it went so well, and very impressed by your patience--I hope, as someone else said, that one of these upcoming two cycles works for you and that you never have to consider next steps.

 
At 02 February, 2006 21:29, Blogger Ornery said...

I'm so glad to hear that the HSG results were fine, and that the experience wasn't too painful. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

 
At 02 February, 2006 21:29, Blogger zhl said...

Glad the HSG went well. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

 
At 03 February, 2006 02:47, Blogger Liz said...

Glad the HSG went smoothly and all is well. The HSG is known to unblock obstructions and women tend to get PG right away...hope it's the case for you.

 
At 03 February, 2006 15:24, Blogger Ladybug Ann said...

It's great that the HSG went well. It's true that the dye can clean up some "cobwebs" in there and may increase fertility.

The pink could be from the upset cervix too, may not be from the lining. I had lots of clear watery stuff for 3 days after mine. Weird.

 
At 03 February, 2006 16:55, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Glad you made it through!

 

<< Home