Monday, May 22, 2006

By the book

The first check went well. I have one dominant follicle on my right side. I didn't quite catch how big it was, probably because I wasn't fully awake at the time. On the other side there were a number of tiny unmeasurable follicles.

The doctor drew some blood (did I mention before that this is pretty much a one-man show?), quite painful actually. The veins in my arms are well hidden and he didn't take my hint to try my hand. I'm guessing he didn't have the right material in his office.

This afternoon, his assistant called me with the instructions. I'm to keep going with the same dose, and come back for another check on Wednesday.

I guess these are text book results. I have an appropriate response to the stims, meaning not nothing and not wildly out of control. One dominant follicle means very low chances of having twins, and still a reasonable/moderate/acceptable (?) chance of success.
So, I should be happy, right? Except I'm not particularly. Perhaps I was bracing for drama and the lack of any was a bit of an anti-climax. Also, getting up an hour early, getting dressed and ready, only to undress again and on top of that to be prodded and poked made me grumpy. Finally, I'm not feeling very optimistic.

This is how I feel now. I'm sure it'll get better ... and worse ... and better ...

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 22 May, 2006 22:38, Blogger Mellie said...

I think it's hard to feel anything so early in the process. But you're good to go - and that's great. Hoping this is the magic cycle for you.

 
At 23 May, 2006 16:38, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Lut, I think sometimes we read so many American blogs where even for an IUI cycle, they are producing a lot of follicles. I don't know where you are cycling but it is very common here in the UK not to have the IUI if you have more than 3 follicles over 15mm. You are doing great and remember, it is one or two follicles that is the aim!

 
At 23 May, 2006 16:58, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

I was disappointed at my first few appointments too, it's gets more exciting as you go along. Remember - no news is good news, especially in the IF world.

 
At 23 May, 2006 19:13, Blogger Keeping The Faith said...

I've been reading you blog... and I'm also going through injectibles w/ IUI. I wish you all of the best and hope your dream of becoming a mother happens soon.

 
At 23 May, 2006 20:37, Blogger Ornery said...

Early morning poking and prodding is certainly not a fun way to start the day. I think it's wonderful that you have already responded so well to the stims. So many other women I know who've done injectibles/IUI have had to do a lot of dose adjusting in the beginning, and that can be so frustrating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this cycle continues to go smoothly for you with a BFP waiting for you at the end of the road!

 
At 24 May, 2006 11:48, Blogger Meg said...

Lut - I understand what Pamplemousse is saying too. In some way it seems such a pain to go through these things when they just tell you exactly what you expected though, doesn't it? Especially early in the morning.

 
At 24 May, 2006 14:26, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Try to keep your chin up. It can be so hard on this rollercoaster. It sounds like you are progressing nicely. I agree with Jenny, no news is good news. Take care of yourself. Hugs!

 
At 24 May, 2006 15:52, Blogger Sarah said...

Sounds like things are progessing nicely. It might be hard to see it, but try to not compare. I agree with Pamplemousse and the others that you only need one or two! Hang in there Lut!

 
At 24 May, 2006 15:59, Anonymous Paige (Baby Dust Diaries) said...

I just IUI'd yesterday with only one mature follicle so I know how you feel. I'm trying to stay positive. I hope this is your BFP!c

 
At 24 May, 2006 22:03, Blogger Alli said...

Praying for a successful cycle for you. Good luck!

 
At 24 May, 2006 23:38, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I am hoping that things will work out for you this cycle. BTW - do you have a tentative date for your IUI?

 

<< Home