Friday, May 19, 2006

Calling the shots

I'm calling today's shot nr. 2. Yesterday's was 'OMG-I-can't-do-this,-why-me,-it's-not-fair,-hey-look-I-did-it'.

There are no injection classes here. What?! You can get a nurse to come administer the shots at home, but I didn't want to be dependant like that. So yesterday I drove over to my experienced friend who talked me through the process. Today I did it all on my own.
It isn't too hard, but I can't seem to get all the tiny air bubbles out of the syringe. I have visions of blood clots and embollism. My friend just laughed.

So what other fears do I have? In no particular order
  • Bad response: will I develop any good follicles?
  • Too much response: will I have to cancel? will the dr. want to reduce the nr. of follicles?
  • Twins: I'm aware of the risk, and clearly am willing to take it to a certain degree. But my preferred outcome is a BFP with a singleton. It's in the best interest of all involved.
  • High-order-multiples: No! No! No! I want to minimize this risk as much as possible.
Of course, by just mentioning a BFP I've just jinxed the whole deal, I suppose. And then there's Murphy's law, which states that I can't have a BPF in the same month when a co-worker's partner is due to deliver. And to top it off, my rational mind says the odds for this treatment just aren't that good.

The naive anticipation is wearing off, can you tell? I just know I'm going to feel like a fool for hoping so much when this cycle is over.

First u/s is Monday. I want to know what's going on in there.

Labels:

17 Comments:

At 19 May, 2006 01:09, Blogger projgen said...

Hey - I'm sending lots of prayers that you get to feel like a fool for thinking you'd feel like a fool ;)

There are no injection classes?! Did your friend tell you:
- push the plunger down all the way before you stick it into the vial
- point the needle down into the vial, stick it through the rubber stopper, then turn it upside down, then pull the plunger to suck the contents out of the vial
- pull the needle out *partway* and pull the plunger a teeny bit more, so you get a little air in the syringe
- withdraw it from the vial, hold it needle end up
- flick the syringe a few times to bring all the bubbles to the top (needle end)
- gently push the plunger just enough to push the air out

voila! If you get a little air in anyway, it's not a problem. You won't get an embolism. Just make sure that you have the right amount of liquid in the syringe - don't count an air bubble as quantity!

Good luck, and congrats on doing your own injections! I was a big weenie about it and was quite proud of myself when I was able to do my own injections.

 
At 19 May, 2006 01:58, Blogger DinosaurD said...

Hey - no injection classes here either. I also always had tiny little air bubbles on one side of the black plastic on the plunger - I was told not to worry about it (and I lived to tell the tale).
Thanks for "getting" my situation
DinoD

 
At 19 May, 2006 02:17, Blogger InDueTime said...

Hugs!! I am getting excited for you! :-)

 
At 19 May, 2006 04:16, Blogger Robber Barren said...

Congrats on starting! Best of luck!

 
At 19 May, 2006 04:19, Blogger squarepeg said...

Hey great job!!! Good luck for this cycle and screw the superstition :)

E

 
At 19 May, 2006 05:26, Blogger sube said...

Congrats on getting over the injection hurdle and best of luck for the cycle.

 
At 19 May, 2006 15:37, Blogger Bronwyn said...

Good luck with the u/s on Monday -- I hope you have lots of juicy follicles!

 
At 19 May, 2006 18:10, Blogger Winnifred said...

First, I got my BFP the same month that 2 of my closest girlfriends delivered. Actually - one girl delivered on the day of my BETA and decided to make her middle name related to mine because of it. Maybe, just maybe - it's actually LUCK to have somebody you know due the same month?

Second... Have you tried using a pen to hit the syringe? the second i started doing that i no longer had bubble issues - well, it took a few hits to get them out - but i wasn't hurting myself in the process ;)

It's weird that they didn't show you how to administer the needles yourself? Nurses at the clinic showed us and even got me to practice with saline first? weird.

happy thoughts sent your way - especially for monday :)

 
At 19 May, 2006 19:12, Blogger Mellie said...

The first shot is definitely the scariest.

And your fears are all valid. Except for the Murphy's law stuff, which I just think in the infertile universe doesn't hold any water - we all know there's no logic involved here - not even backwards logic.

 
At 19 May, 2006 20:42, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

After the first few injectons, you will be doing it like a pro!

 
At 20 May, 2006 00:13, Blogger Ornery said...

Congrats on successful self-injection!

Injectibles with IUI cycles can definitely be frustrating because you're constantly worried about ending up in the extremes: no follicles or too many follicles. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you in the hopes that Monday's ultrasound will reveal lots (but not too many!) promising follicles.

 
At 20 May, 2006 01:01, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

Don't feel like a fool. I have been told that your first IVF cycle is the most hopeful so try to enjoy feeling good.
Sounds like you did a great job with the shot. All the best.

 
At 21 May, 2006 03:39, Anonymous Lori said...

Good work on the injection! I can't believe you don't get proper instruction - that's just crazy! I hope Monday's ultrasound reveals good news!

 
At 21 May, 2006 10:40, Blogger Thalia said...

Our clinic wasn't allowed to show us how to do the PIO shots in case we screwed up. They wanted us to come in every day instead. No thank you!! I'm glad you've figured it out. Good luck for tomorrow.

 
At 21 May, 2006 14:29, Blogger Angie said...

Glad to see you're back!

 
At 21 May, 2006 23:55, Blogger k #2 said...

Congrats on the successful injection! Even with classes, you worry you aren't doing it right! I hope your body reacts JUST RIGHT and you see progress on Monday!

 
At 22 May, 2006 13:49, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am so excited that you are getting started! I hope that your u/s goes well today!

 

<< Home