Saturday, May 27, 2006

The deed is done

In 3 words: it went well.
Beta day is June 12th, or CD 28.

For those who want to know the tall and short of it, here goes.

Early this morning, DH got up to do his bit, comfortably in the privacy of our own home. I had hoped sleep a little longer, but I was too nervous. I did stay in bed, because I didn't want to cause any more stress for DH by pacing around. I was relieved when he drove off to the hospital to deliver the goods. First hurdle of the day taken.

Since I couldn't sleep, I rummaged through the house, tried to tidy up a bit, but I hardly made a dent in the chaos. Oh well.
I was glad when it was time to get ready and go to the clinic.

We arrived well on time, and after only a few minutes waiting outside our dr. arrived on his bicycle (the Tour de France, Vuelta, Giro racing cycle kind). Cycling to work is not uncommon here, but with his cycling gear on, it looked like he was making a little detour in his leisure time to pop round the office to see us. It didn't annoy me in the least, I found it rather endearing. With a job like his, he's entitled to all the leisure time he can get, if you ask me.

First thing he asked us was whether we had picked up the sample. Erm, no, we weren't told to do so. Luckily, the lab is just around the corner, so off we went. There, we were handed a little tube with DH's name written on it with a marker. I really, really hope the lab tech wasn't distracted.

Fast forward back to the clinic. I was kindly invited to assume the position. DH stayed in the adjoining consultation area. This seemed like the normal state of affairs, since the dr. didn't hint that he should come over. DH happy, me happy, everybody happy.

The procedure itself went without a hitch, it was a teensy weensy uncomfortable, but not painful at all. The dr. even remarked how easy it went. Afterwards I was told to lie down for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, the dr. rinsed out the the test tube (or perhaps the pipette) onto a glass slide and put it under a microscope. After a quick look, he declared that the swimmers looked good and invited DH to have a peek.
This was right beside me, but though I was exposed (and freezing), the tinkering part was over so it was ok.

Then the dr. left us to our own devices and DH kept me company while I waited. It was really chilly, probably because the heating isn't turned on in the weekends. Next time, I might bring a blanket, if not for during the procedure, for after it.

When the time was up, I went over to have a look through the microscope myself. Sure enough, there were a bunch of lively swimmers to be seen, though I found it a little disturbing that they were all going in circles. :-/ Of course, after 15 min. the best swimmers were long gone, never to be heard from again. Or so I tell myself.

So now, there is nothing left to do for me but twiddle my thumbs, wrestle with the fabled 'p*ssy pops' and hope for the best. Right now, I'm feeling ok, but we'll see if I can keep my cool as the 2WW progresses.

To be continued. :-)

Labels:

27 Comments:

At 27 May, 2006 14:58, Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck with the 2ww. I have no advice to make it go faster as I am desperately anxious and can't sleep anymore. Am now half way through.

I wish you all the best for your cycle and really hope that things work out for you. I'll be checking back.

 
At 27 May, 2006 16:19, Blogger squarepeg said...

Yea! Good luck with the 2WW. I hope you don't end up needing a "next time!"

 
At 27 May, 2006 17:02, Blogger Dawn said...

Good Luck!

 
At 27 May, 2006 18:04, Blogger InDueTime said...

Good Luck with the two week wait!! hugs!!!!!

 
At 28 May, 2006 00:43, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

You made it! You gave me a laugh imagining your doc with a cycling helmet still on doing the IUI!!

 
At 28 May, 2006 16:50, Blogger Angie said...

Hope you can find some way to make your 2ww pass quickly. Things sounds great so far. Good luck!

 
At 28 May, 2006 18:48, Blogger UtRus said...

congrats on the so far so good :) best of luck for patience during this TWW. hugs

 
At 28 May, 2006 23:14, Blogger Thalia said...

Glad it all went so smoothly. NOw for the hard part!

 
At 29 May, 2006 02:59, Blogger projgen said...

Yay! Step 1 down. Now we just have to find ways to keep you occupied for the 2ww!

 
At 29 May, 2006 20:08, Blogger sube said...

I'm shivering just thinking about how chilly you must have been! That's a long 15 minutes. But hopefully you'll get some good news in 2 weeks to make it all worth it.

 
At 30 May, 2006 02:13, Blogger Beth said...

Yeah! Glad things went off without a hitch. Fingers crossed for a quick and successful wait!

 
At 30 May, 2006 09:17, Blogger Sparkle said...

Well done - getting through the procedure and the 'exposure'!

Fingers crossed for the next two weeks.

 
At 30 May, 2006 12:36, Blogger Meg said...

Lut - hoorah for having this bit over with. I hope they show us our sperm. x

 
At 30 May, 2006 14:58, Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Sounds like everything went well. Here's hoping that you get some good news soon. Good luck~

 
At 30 May, 2006 17:29, Blogger Winnifred said...

happy thoughts coming your way :) I wish you patience for the next 2 weeks!!

 
At 30 May, 2006 18:55, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I am glad all went well with the IUI! I hope that your 2WW will speed by and that you will get good news on June 12th.

 
At 30 May, 2006 19:22, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, your doctor sounds cool. At least his kind of cycling is great for the mood!

Of course the swimmers were going in circles on the slide -- they'd missed their big chance, and were kicking themselves.

The best of luck to you, my dear. I so hope it worked for you.

 
At 30 May, 2006 20:19, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

Oh pussy pops are just so much fun. Remember, big cotton panties are your friend.

Best of luck to you!

 
At 30 May, 2006 23:42, Blogger Mellie said...

Good luck! And I'm hoping there won't be a next time where you need to bring a blanket...

 
At 31 May, 2006 02:30, Blogger S said...

Good luck with the wait-I'm glad that everything went as smoothly as possible. Here's hoping for some good news soon!

 
At 31 May, 2006 02:37, Blogger Liz said...

Glad everything went well. Hope the 2WW goes smoothly. Lots of luck to you!

 
At 31 May, 2006 04:33, Blogger PI Jill said...

Fingers crossed and wishing you great results!

 
At 31 May, 2006 22:12, Blogger Vacant Uterus said...

Good luck, my dear. I hope it all goes according to plan.

xo

 
At 01 June, 2006 00:34, Blogger Ornery said...

Sounds like the IUI couldn't have gone any better. I hope the 2ww flies by for you! Enjoy the pussy pops (said in the most sarcastic way possible).

 
At 01 June, 2006 04:34, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I hope that your 2ww goes smoothly. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs!

 
At 02 June, 2006 11:45, Blogger ankaisa said...

Good luck with the 2WW! Usually it's OK at first, but it gets worse towards the end. I really, really hope there is a BFP waiting for you!

 
At 05 June, 2006 11:35, Blogger Shazz said...

Good luck and fingers are crossed for you!!!

 

<< Home