Monday, May 08, 2006

Mixed emotions

I've just had my second appointment with dr. A. It went reasonably well, I guess.

He still hadn't bothered to request my file from dr. Sunshine. I expected as much, but wasn't glad to be right. I know cases like ours are thirteen in a dozen to him, but does he have to make it so obvious?
I didn't take him up on it, but did ask him how he could assess possible male factor if he doesn't have the SA results. What about high white blood cell count? They might have tested for it, but without the file, who knows. (He asked his secretary to get it this time.)

The blood test he ordered last time shows no insuline resistence. Good. Does this mean I don't have. PCOS? I forgot to ask. :-/ Common sense would say that irregular ovulation alone does not make a syndrome.

What did come up is an elevated pro.lactin level. It was 40, whereas 24 is normal. I don't know what the units are. He said pro.lactin is a stress hormone and the stress of having blood tests could explain it. To know for sure, he wanted me to have blood drawn 4 times in one hour. Oh joy. I went to get it done straight afterwards, and now have 5 punctures on my hands, covered by just two small bandaids. Lovely.

If I fail the pro.lactin test, I will need to take per.lodal, possibly for months. There would be no cycling for an indefinite amount of time. This one cycle wait is tough enough, I don't know how I would cope with more. No wonder I have elevated stress levels.

Apparantly there are two kinds of pro.lactin: biologically active and inactive. Only the first kind would require treatment, if I understand correctly. Fingers crossed.

Then he asked about my weight. Excuse me? What of it?
Have I been watching it? Let's see, gorging on good food in Canada, several family dinners, and rest cycle marinated in beer and wine. No, I haven't.
He didn't exactly tell me to last time either. He said then if it was stable, then it was fine. But now he suggested I try to change my metabolism's gears from gain to loss. He's got to be kidding. There is no reverse on my metabolism, honey.

I told him I refuse to engage in women's magazines diets. I've refused to since I was a teenager. I don't jojo. I am prepared to see a professional nutritionist, and I will. But I am not going on some strict diet whilst doing fertility treatments. There will be times when floor cake is required, or do.ritos.

To be honest, it would do me good to lose some 10 to 15 kg's (that's 22 pounds/1.5 stone to 33pounds/2.3 stone). And though I accept that this is probably a factor, I don't believe this is the cause of our IF. There are many women like me who have kids without a problem.

The fact that the dr. brought it up like this makes me feel he's clutching at straws. He doesn't know what's wrong (not surprising without the medical history) and is slowly running out of tests to run. All he can offer us is the standard trial and error approach. I was prepared for this, I didn't expect any answers, but it sucks all the same. For all we know, we're wasting our time with ART.

I know, I know, it could be worse, some of you are blowing money by the bucketload on ART. Up to now, most of our treatments have been covered by National Health Care. But before you get jealous, please note that 50 to 55% of our income goes to taxes, the VAT (value added tax) rate is around 20% and our employers pay 200% on top of our incomes to the state for social security. I'm not complaining, it's the price of basic solidarity, but that's a discussion for another time.

Finally, I also got the schedule for the IUI/inj cycle (subject to passing the pro.lactin test, not overstimming etc.)
CD 1 call him to say we're on board.
CD 2-6 Meno.pur, 1 vial a day
CD 7-12 u/s every other day and adjustment of dose if necessary
CD 12 (approx.) Preg.nyl trigger shot
CD 14 IUI
CD 15-29 Utro.gestan
CD 29 HPT

There are no injection classes. I'll have to make do with the booklet that comes with the Meno.pur 'starters kit'. I'm sure can find a video online. I remember reading about them on someone's blog.

I won't order the stims until I get the results on the pro.lactin test. I don't really know when to expect CD1. If the Clo.mid is still lingering, sometime next week, otherwise two to three weeks from now, or even later. Perhaps it's time to start temping again.

During the last cycles of Clo.mid, I was eager to move on to the next stage of treatment. Now that it's coming closer, I'm having mixed emotions. I don't want to do injections and get up early for u/s. Do I really want to jump through all these hoops? Just so I can get my own ungrateful spoiled screaming brat. Why is there no pill to remove the urge?

Oh well, I already know I'm going to jump the hoops anyway.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 09 May, 2006 19:53, Blogger Mellie said...

I wish there was a pill to remove the biological urge or procreating! How brilliant would that be? I'm sorry you're still searching for answers.

 
At 09 May, 2006 20:58, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

if you find the pill, please save one for me!

 
At 10 May, 2006 04:43, Blogger InDueTime said...

Hugs Lut, Im right there with ya chickie.. Life sucks so much sometimes.

 
At 10 May, 2006 17:10, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I'm sorry about your experience with the doctor. It sounds so frustating. Without, reviewing your medical history, he truly is grasping at straws. I hope you prolactin level is normal, so that you can move forward with the next round of treatment.

Good luck!

 
At 10 May, 2006 22:57, Blogger Angie said...

Hope your prolactin is normal. Good luck with this cycle. If we don't get it this time, we're on to inj. w/IUI also. I hope this goes well for you!

 
At 11 May, 2006 17:12, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

It does sound like your doctor is grasping at straws. My doctor diagnosed me with PCOS based on irregular ovulation alone. I think that she is full of it. My insulin levels are also within the normal range and I have no other sypmtoms other than irregular cycles. Either way, I hope that this cycle goes well for you.

 
At 11 May, 2006 17:48, Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck with your cycle this time. Don't worry about the injections, they are pretty easy...says the one who has her husband do them!! I'll let you know if I find videos or other info online.

 

<< Home