Friday, May 26, 2006

Poke, prod and prance

This morning I got up early to prance around half-naked in my the doctor's office. From my previous post you know just how litterally to take that.

For those of you too busy to read the comments, a quick overview of possible Modesty Protection Measures and their applicability to my clinic:

- Separate room to undress in: No
- Curtain to undress behind: Yes
- Dimmed lights: No
- Paper gown : No
- Sheet or towel: No
- Dr/Tech out of the room while you position yourself: No
- Self-inserting the wand: No

While I don't relish the exposure, by now I've gotten a little used to it. I wouldn't bring it up any more, but for one thing. Up to now, DH was not present to witness the display. When it's just me and the dr, I don't find it too hard to kind of dissociate myself from the somewhat embarassing position I'm in. After all, I'm just one of the many patients he has. But I don't think I could pull that trick off with DH present. He'd be watching another man tinker with my lady parts. It makes ME feel akward.

So what to do about the IUI procedure? Do I ask him to stay home alltogether? Do I ask him to stay in the adjoining consultation area out of my field of vision? I honestly think I'd be more distressed by him being in the room than it would benefit to have him hold my hand. And come on, it's not like we can pretend this a romantic way to conceive anyways. Of course I won't know for sure how I feel untill the time comes. Also, if the procedure proves to be very painful, I might want some handholding.

Is that crazy? What do you do with your partner in these situations? I don't know if any of my visitor's are flying solo, do you bring along some support?

I would guess that almost everyone feels a little akward the first time. Perhaps I'll get used to this too. And just so you know, DH is not the jealous type. So territorialism isn't really the problem.


Back to business. My follicle is ready. (Cue microwave bell) Ping! I forgot to ask for the measurements again, but it was noticeably bigger on the screen.
2 days ago, my E2 was 80 (I don't know which units). The dr. said this was on the low side, which is why he changed his mind about seeing me again. Tonight, I trigger. The doctor's secretary just called with today's lab results: the IUI will happen on Saturday.


After the doctor's appointment, I decided to do some shopping. Unwittingly, I walked into IF hell: I K E A on a school holiday. The place was packed with families. Big kids, little kids, tiny babies, loads of them, everywhere I looked. It was taken aback a little bit, but at no time did I feel a meltdown coming on. I felt pretty much ok. It's not that I'm confident or optimistic that this cycle will be the one, but I do feel my odds have never been better. I see possibilities.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 26 May, 2006 15:53, Blogger Bronwyn said...

Fingers and toes all crossed for you! Regarding whether or not to have your better half with you during the IUI, maybe you'll have a stronger opinion about it on the day. I can completely understand not wanting him to see you in such a compromising position, though, lol!

 
At 26 May, 2006 16:50, Blogger Sarah said...

Ikea is a nightmare! I last left that place with a lump in my throat and then burst into tears by the time I reached the car.

Good luck with the IUI!

 
At 26 May, 2006 16:53, Blogger Robber Barren said...

Good luck tomorrow!

For what it's worth, I insisted that Ezra be with me during the IUI so I could looka t him and hold his hand. It wasn't so much for the physical pain as it was to help me overcome the emotional hurdle of having this medical procedure take the place of, well, other things.

 
At 26 May, 2006 17:19, Blogger Mellie said...

Good luck with the IUI on Saturday! I hope it does the trick.

Personally, dh was never with me for any of the iui's or, as it turned out, the ivf transfer. So really - you just have to figure out what's going to make you feel more comfortable. I recommend bringing an Ipod or book or something to read or do or listen to while you're lying on your back for the 20 minutes - half hour after the procedure.

 
At 26 May, 2006 18:34, Blogger squarepeg said...

Oh good luck! I can't believe they can't give you a gown or something? That just makes no sense and serves only to make the experience less humane...

I do agree though, that the notion of romance has probably long gone, so what's the big deal. Whatever makes you most comfortable is what you should have.

Good luck!
E

 
At 26 May, 2006 18:38, Blogger Ladybug Ann said...

DH came to my IUIs, he figured he should at least be in the room when the deed is done. It's sorta nice to let him see the intimidating speculum, otherwise, he had no idea what it's all about.

Good luck!

 
At 26 May, 2006 19:00, Blogger Keeping The Faith said...

I prefer my DH there. I find it comforting, especially during the 15 minutes afterwards that I lay there and pray that the little guys are swimming to their target. One warning... my DH tends to makes jokes in awkward situations so he kept making me laugh during my 1st IUI and that is a NO NO b/c it makes your stomach tighten up. (You need a nice relaxed stomach so the sperm can travel up) My RE said absolutely no laughing during the IUI. Now my DH is scared to even open his mouth :-)

I seriously can't believe you don't get anything to put over your legs. That would be tough for me. I'm always given a sheet and that makes me feel a little covered up.

 
At 26 May, 2006 19:24, Blogger GZ said...

Maybe you can just bring him to the waiting room and go from there?

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

 
At 26 May, 2006 19:46, Blogger Chee Chee said...

My DH came to my first IUI but missed the second one. Also, he attends many wanding appointments. Our clinic seems different from yours though, we have our own u/s room where the woman is given a few minutes to undress and get settled and a sheet to cover with from the waist down. Those seem like basics, if you ask me.

Anyhow, good luck tomorrow, whatever you decide.

 
At 26 May, 2006 19:59, Blogger Liz said...

Wishing you the best tomorrow!!!!

 
At 26 May, 2006 20:04, Anonymous Wavery said...

I loathe the kids section at Ikea. All those wild kids on lingonberry high are terribly frightening. And why is always so freaking cold in there. More than once I've grabbed some display blanket off the couch area and used it as a shawl.

 
At 26 May, 2006 21:18, Blogger UtRus said...

YAY! i wish you all the best on this cycle. i hope dreams come true.

so funny what you wrote about having your partner in the room. i am NEVER uncomfortable when being examined gynocologically-speaking... but when my husband was in the room with me for the first time, i was like.... whoa. this is weird, i feel uncomfortable! but my hubs was fine with it, found it interesting to look at the ultrasound image, and the doc was totally cool and made us both comfortable. so... i think it's actually better in the end to de-mystify a bit of it for my husband. he should witness a bit of what it's like, you know?

and as for the "jealousy" well... that should be a non issue. this is not in any way a sexual manipulation. there should be a complete disconnect between those things. there is for me, anyhow.

 
At 27 May, 2006 00:59, Blogger projgen said...

Okay, first off, can you ask for the sheet? That just seems inconsiderate of them.

Secondly, as for having dh there for the IUI, Hubby was there for our IVF transfer. However, he stayed by my head, so he couldn't see anything more than what I could see, and held my hand. Personally, I couldn't imagine him *not* being there for it.

I know, different strokes and all that, but maybe you can talk to one of the nurses and dh and come up with something that makes you feel comfortable? However you wind up, good luck tomorrow - I'll keep all my bits crossed!

 
At 27 May, 2006 04:50, Anonymous Beth said...

"This morning I got up early to prance around half-naked in my the doctor's office."

For some reason this just made me crack up - because we all really do prance around half-naked a lot it seems.

Wishing you the best with the IUI. Himself accompanied me for the first and was absent for subsequent ones - life just got too darn busy.

 

<< Home