Thursday, June 08, 2006

Rabbit food

Before I tell you about my little aches and pains, please go visit Thalia (http://thalia.typepad.com/thalias_fertility_journey/ ) and Pamplemousse ( http://mypamplemousse.blogspot.com/), who are both having a wretched time.


My previous post on jealousy struck a chord with many of you. I had expected everyone to just say 'duh'. ;-) Well, if anyone needed proof they're not alone, there you go!


On to the real topic of this post.

You may remember that dr. A suggested I pay attention to my weight, and I agreed to see a nutritionist.
So I did just that, the other day. I'm going to call her Dolly, because she looked a bit like one. Young, skinny and well groomed.

I must say I found the whole thing a bit awkard. The start of the consult illustrates why:

Dolly: How can I help you?
Me: I'm actually undergoing fertility treatment, and my dr. suggested I work on my weight. This is a very stressful time for me, so I'm not too ambitious.
Dolly: Ok, let's me start by asking you a few questions.
Dolly: What's your name.
Me: Lut.
Dolly: Are you single or do you have a partner.
Me: I'm married.
Dolly: Do you have kids?
Me: ?! Erm, no.

"What do you think the fertility treatment is for?" I thought to myself. I know, I know, there is such a thing as secondary IF, but her tone revealed to me that it hadn't crossed her mind. Oh, to be oblivious of such things, how I envy her.

Next she started asking me about my eating habits. As I suspected, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with what I eat. There is no low hanging fruit to cut out of my diet (junk food, deep-fried foods, ...), except for one thing. She suggested I stop drinking alcohol. I blinked my eyes a few times. Then I said no.
Ok, then why don't you cut back to every other night, she added. I answered that I'd already cut back to two weeks with (after BFN) and two weeks without (2WW). She'd forgotten about the fertility angle again, though I could see the wheels were starting to turn.

To make a long story short, the bottom line is that she wants me to try and eat 500 cal a day less than I do now. (I guess that should be kcal?)
For normal patients, she suggests a daily schedule with kinds of food to eat. By the end of the consult, she realized she needed to scale down her ambitions. We agreed I'm going to work on a few things now, and we'll see how well that goes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Dolly for not knowing much about IF. What outsider does?
She wasn't purposefully hurtful or anything, eventually she even asked how long we'd been trying.
It just means the burden is on me to tell her what's what. The mere thought makes me tired.

So I'm off to go count calories.
Tomato juice = good.
Do.ritos = bad

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 09 June, 2006 10:58, Blogger GZ said...

I dunno. Tomato juice sounds pretty nasty to me.

Sorry to hear about the difficult time with the nutritionist...You'd think working in nutrition she'd know a thing or two about infertility. I bet she knows all about whats good for a pregnant woman. Do you plan on seeing her again?

 
At 09 June, 2006 13:01, Blogger Thalia said...

Infertility takes that emotional eating thing that most of us do and turns up the volume 10 fold. It's hard, so hard, to do anything about it when life is collapsing around you. You have my undivided admiration?

The only time I managed to lose weight was when I really turned up the exercise. Any chance of adding a bit more exercise into your schedule?

 
At 09 June, 2006 13:50, Blogger Meg said...

Bleuch. She sounds vile, Lut. But you seem pretty good at syaing what's what! Good luck with it, though... be nice if something good came out of sitting through that, huh?

 
At 09 June, 2006 14:46, Anonymous Kath said...

Having consultations with people you have to educate is bad enough, but having to repeat yourself... yeah.

Small goals are really best. Cutting out 500 kcals is quite ambitious -- but Dor.tos are (sigh) a good place to start.

Hoping, though, that very soon you'll be barred from dieting, if you know what I mean!

 
At 09 June, 2006 16:40, Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck! It is so hard, just one more thing that we have to worry about. I agree about the exercise; it is the only thing that ever worked for me!

 
At 09 June, 2006 18:29, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

Not Doritos, those can't be bad. They are made from corn and cheese aren't they?
It is exhausting explaining it to people. I got very lucky and found a natural doctor experienced with IF. My GP on the other hand, about as smart as your Dolly!

 
At 09 June, 2006 23:18, Blogger katty said...

Hello,
I just succeeded on a diet, not spectacularly (7lb in a month) but definitely better than nothing. My SIL on the same diet with me lost 14lb. It was the weightwatchers eat as much as you want as long as it's not rubbish diet. No dairy products (unless very low fat) and no oil, and no sugar and bread. I ended up eating an awful lot of raspberries, peaches, poached salmon and vietnamese noodle soup.
It wasn't cheap.

 
At 09 June, 2006 23:37, Blogger squarepeg said...

Giving up alcohol? Crap that's the only thing that get's me through AF! is that a problem?

Shortly after we moved east, D and I went on South Beach Diet. We liked it a lot because it made sense - good carbs, good oils, lots of fiber, chocolate and red wine OK. We both lost over 10 pounds and I felt great. We also incorporated a lot of what we learned into our more conventional eating. Of course,we haven't exactly stayed on the diet... but it really is not hard to. I just have an addiction to candy, and for D it's french fries.

Anyway, the recipes are at least quite good. I hope the nutritionist comes up with something more productive to recommend.

Good luck!

 
At 10 June, 2006 15:38, Blogger k #2 said...

Maybe the nutritionist doesn't have the lightbulb screwed in all the way? Dumb ass and her lack of IF struggles.

IF is such a stressful time, I think doritos every now and than can be very relaxing.

I am impressed with your move to follow her suggestions. Cheers to the tomato juice!

 

<< Home