Thursday, July 20, 2006

The best laid plans of women and mice

** This post was written yesterday, but didn't get published until today due to a technical problem. So, CD1 = today. **

The period has arrived. Kind of. A long TMI story short: tomorrow is CD1.
When I wanted to be sure my doctor would be back from holiday by CD6, this is not what I had in mind. He came back to work yesterday.

Not this weekend, but the one after there is a Big-Once-In-A-Lifetime-Event (BOIALE) that I really, really want to attend. For my and DH's comfort, I decided to make it a little weekend getaway in a hotel, leaving on Friday-night, returning Sunday evening.

You know where this is going, don't you.

Extrapolating from IUI/inj #1 and 2, there's a real risk of the next IUI falling squarely in BOIALE weekend. Lovely, just lovely. So, of course I've been pondering what to do. Here's what I've come up with so far

a) Skip this cycle.

I considered this for a second, but no. There will always be scheduling problems, and I still want to get this over with. Not an option.

b) Attend BOIALE, but without the comfort of the hotel.

This would work if on BOIALE day all I need is a blood draw and a wanding early in the morning. I can make it on time to BOIALE, and go back home late at night/early next morning. If the next day is IUI day, that would be tough, but possible.

IUI on BOIALE day would be near impossible. Unless I want to miss the grand opening, which I really, really don't.

c) Do the cycle, but skip the IUI if it falls on BOIALE day or the day after.

While we're having our little getaway, we can try the old-fashioned way. That might sound rash, but the added value of doing an IUI in cycles with injectibles is debated amongst experts. So, it might not make that much of a difference to our odds.

I'm actually leaning towards option c) right now. A big reason is that I'm a little fed up with IF dictating my life (so soon, I know). Why would I try to move heaven and earth to do a treatment with such low odds?

I'm thanking my lucky stars that my health care plan covers most of the costs for this treatment, so the cost isn't really an argument in one direction or the other. Need I remind you that by lucky stars, I mean heaps of taxes? No? Ok.

The problem is there's no way of predicting of how it will turn out. If my period had arrived after 4 days (like last time) and not 8, I would have been all done before BOIALE. At least while I'm fretting over this, I'm not worrying about something else.

So what do you think?

Labels: ,


At 20 July, 2006 20:53, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

Hard call! I am so curious about this special event that I am having a hard time coming up with any advice. I think option C sounds pretty good. You still have a chance of it working and enjoy your weekend.

I am sorry the timing worked out badly. In the world of infertility, nothing is ever easy.

At 20 July, 2006 21:08, Blogger katty said...

Yes, like Jenny very curious.
I know what I would do, I would put the IUI first.
But that is because I am forty and running out of time.
If my current IVF cycle fails, I am thinking of skipping a natural IUI cycle in between IVF cycles and just going away for six weeks.
That's because I too am tired of my life being dictated by fertility treatments, but also because natural IUI cycles have such a low success rate.
Good luck whatever you decide.

At 20 July, 2006 21:13, Anonymous Wavery said...

I'm countering. Life is already hard enough, why let your cooter hijack your event on top of all the other costs of IF?

I had a couple of cycles that I, even after three years of trying, I took off because of big events. I don't regret it (but am young and have endo dx so I knew what I was looking at, can't recommend that it's right for everyone).

But then again, insurance paying for is something I never had, that alone might allow me to be a little more cavalier.

Just kick your heels up no matter what.

At 20 July, 2006 22:10, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Timing always sucks. I'm already tired of this, and I've only done one cycle!

I'd go for option C as well, especially if there are no big financial concerns. At least that way, you are giving yourself a chance for a cycle...

I hope it all works out...

At 20 July, 2006 22:40, Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

I agree with you...If insurance is paying then I'd go with option C. At least that way you can (sort of) get the best of both.

Enjoy the weekend. You deserve it.

At 20 July, 2006 23:23, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I definitely think you should proceed with the cycle, either option b or c sound good to me.

At 21 July, 2006 08:21, Blogger projgen said...

Remember, Robber Barren's BOIALE (well, I guess it wasn't a BOIALE for *her* more for her friend...) and how that turned out?

Maybe give the old-fashioned way a shake this time around. Might not help, but it couldn't hurt.

At 21 July, 2006 11:41, Blogger Thalia said...

I'm the anti-IUI woman, so take it with a pinch of salt, but did you see the big study published last week that showed that couples with unexplained infertility were just as likely to get pregnant if they did nothing for a further six months than if they did IUI? So I'm just saying....

At 21 July, 2006 12:17, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

My assvice is enjoy the BOIALE as life is too short to miss them. Have a break and enjoy yourself, complete with loads of alcohol. ART never goes away and it is only a month.

At 22 July, 2006 10:08, Blogger Meg said...

And then it depends on how OIAL is the BOIALE....

At 22 July, 2006 16:03, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

That is tough Lut. I personally like B and C. I definitely don't think that you should jeopordize your BOIALE. Good luck with your decision.

At 23 July, 2006 01:33, Anonymous Manuela said...

What I think is that I'm glad I don't have to make the choice! Poor thing! This is TOUGH!

At 24 July, 2006 03:47, Blogger M. said...

I'm brand new to your blog but am going to vote anyway. I say go for option C. Life IS too short to only have time for the sadness of ttc and IF. I'm rooting for you!

Also, I wanted to say that I so relate to all of your recent posts about dealing with people having babies at work and trying to be happy at baby showers, etc. I just declined a baby shower since the last one I attended was just too much.

At 24 July, 2006 07:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like C because I think you deserve a holiday. But I really know fuck all about this so feel free to completely disregard my opinion. :)

At 25 July, 2006 00:14, Blogger soralis said...

Good luck with making your decision... can't help you there!

Sorry about the timing though, our bodies just suck some times!

Take care


<< Home