Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Going forward and going away

I'm in the midst of hurried packing for a well-deserved holiday (if I say so myself). While I rest my weary feet, let me tell you how the consult went. THE consult, yes!

We started with a recap of what we've learned so far.

Female factor:
- irregular cycles suggesting problems with ovulation,
- excellent response to stims, but no luck with 9 cycles of induced ovulation.


Male factor:
- SA results were satisfactory, if variable. Though all the samples were well above the 5 mio motile mark.

As obstacles to getting PG go, these are pretty weak. There are plenty of couples like us, who do have children without ART (my interpretation). The doctor put it this way, the reason why 9 stim cycles haven't work could just be bad luck. Basically, we're still unexplained.

Then it was Q&A time:

How do we know I ovulated?
Since this wasn't monitored by more blood draws, technically we can't know for certain. However, it is exceedingly rare to have a mature follicle and not to ovulate after a trigger shot. With the Cl0mid cycles (no trigger shot) ovulation of mature cycles occurs 80% of the time.
Should I worry about my ovarian reserve?
No, based on my good response to the stims and my age. (Yeah, yeah, nothing but an antral follicle count will put my mind at ease).
Do I have PCO?
Yes. The only symptom I seem to have is irregular cycles, but that appears to be enough. I forgot to ask him whether I need metf0rmin.


Finally, it was time to talk about a plan. Very, very gently, dr. A broke the news to us that it was now time to consider if we might want to do IVF. (Kind of funny, considering I was so worried he wouldn't want us to move on to IVF yet. It was all I could do to keep myself from jumping out of my seat and shouting "YES! IVF! NOW!".) Some people find IVF problematic, he said, and there were still other options we could explore. We could do a lap and check for endometriosis or other anatomical problems, which he could then correct. This option is one he wholeheartedly believes in as a viable one, he assured us. For a second, I wavered, but only for a second.
I'm ready to try IVF, was my response.

Satisfied with that he started to explain IVF in detail. I take it most of his patients don't have a Google U degree, nor do they attend IF night school in blogland. Joking aside, I appreciated his willingness to take the time to educate us. He did remark that he was going into deeper detail, because he sensed we could follow.

This would be the protocol (rough overview):
- 1 month of BCP
- An unnamed nasal spray for a number of days
- Stimming with Men0pur 2 vials, between one and two weeks I suppose.
- Pickup
- Transfer on day 2, 3 or 5, depending on amount and quality of embryo's.
- Progester0ne suppositories and a drug of which I didn't catch the name.

The last burning question left was WHEN? To my utter surprise, the answer was immediately. Come next CD1, I start a course of BCP. I predict that will be sometime at the end of September or the beginning of October (unless I have an exceptionally long cycle this time). I will be getting more info through the mail and there is some paperwork to handle, but not much.

And now, back to packing!

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

At 06 September, 2006 23:16, Blogger A.M.S. said...

Enjoy the vacation! SOunds like you've got a good plan for the next cycle. I'm so jealous!

 
At 07 September, 2006 00:32, Anonymous Lori said...

I'm so glad you're doctor didn't put up any obstacles for moving forward with IVF and can get you started so quickly.
Happy packing and enjoy your vaction!

 
At 07 September, 2006 01:50, Blogger projgen said...

Yay! This is the most upbeat I've 'heard' you sound in ages! Between the vaca and IVF, you must be in a good mood.

When I first saw my doc about IVF, I got the whole "how IVF works" speech, too. I think they know so many of us have attended Google U, but there's always something we could have missed (HA!). Besides, how do you ask a client that? "Did you attend *every* class at Google U?"

Have a great vacation!

 
At 07 September, 2006 02:28, Blogger Angie said...

Have a great vacation! Wow.. IVF! :-)

 
At 07 September, 2006 03:18, Blogger My Reality said...

Congrats on getting IVF started! I hope you have a great and very well deserved vacation.

 
At 07 September, 2006 05:26, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Good luck with your IVF cycle...I was thrilled to finally get going with IVF and felt like it was a serious answer to my infertility questions. (IUI seemed half-assed, somehow). Enjoy your vacation!

 
At 07 September, 2006 09:13, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, I'm so glad you're moving forward with IVF so quickly. It's great not to have to wait months once you've made the decision.

So you've got PCOS -- did he determine that based on your hormones? Are you going to ask him about the Metformin, or wait until you start the BCPs?

Have a great holiday, my dear!

 
At 07 September, 2006 13:03, Blogger Meg said...

Woo hoo, Lut! That's fantastic! Now, go and have a beautiful holiday. Relaxing in the knowledge that you are moving on...

 
At 07 September, 2006 15:04, Blogger namaste said...

Yay! So glad you're finally moving on to IVF!!! For what it's worth, I don't ovulate regularly either but am otherwise unexplained like you. Hopefully IVF is the answer. :) Have a great vacation!!!

 
At 07 September, 2006 16:19, Blogger Lady S said...

enjoy your time away... glad to hear that the doc is in support of moving forward with IVF. it sounds like you're ready :)

 
At 07 September, 2006 16:29, Blogger fisher queen said...

Good luck!

 
At 07 September, 2006 19:35, Blogger zhl said...

Have a great holiday. And I'm so glad that you get to move forward.

 
At 08 September, 2006 01:26, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

It sounds like you have a great plan! How exciting that you will be able to move forward to IVF so soon! I hope that you have a wonderful vacation.

 
At 08 September, 2006 07:44, Blogger Sparkle said...

Far out!
It may seem like a long time coming, but now you're definitely ready for it.
Enjoy your break.

 
At 08 September, 2006 09:04, Blogger Baby Blues said...

Great! Sounds promising! Wishing you courage and strength on your next journey. We're all here for you. Enjoy your vacation!

 
At 08 September, 2006 16:45, Blogger k #2 said...

Yeah -- I hear happiness in your "voice." It is nice to hear you so excited about your plan! Have a nice vacation!

 
At 08 September, 2006 22:50, Blogger Em said...

Have a fab vacation.

 
At 09 September, 2006 14:28, Blogger Ladybug Ann said...

That sounds great that you can start IVF right away! Good luck!!

Happy vacation!

 
At 09 September, 2006 18:57, Blogger Sandy said...

Enjoy your vacation!

 
At 11 September, 2006 01:51, Blogger Beagle said...

Have a wonderful trip! And good luck with the upcoming IVF. Nice that you won't have a prolonged wait to start.

 
At 11 September, 2006 03:47, Anonymous Jennifer said...

I hope you are having a fabulous vacation and am so excited that you are excited and able to give IVF a go.

 
At 11 September, 2006 16:39, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Let me know if I can send you some unused Menopur (only 4 vials + solvents).

 
At 12 September, 2006 01:18, Blogger katty said...

First of all: have a glorious holiday.
And second of all: congratulations on having a plan... and here is wishing you the very best...

 
At 12 September, 2006 06:07, Blogger sube said...

Yay for having a plan! Glad you're sounding so positive.

And happy vacation!

 
At 12 September, 2006 09:22, Anonymous Meri-ann said...

Enjoy your holiday- and I'm so glad your plan is underway!

 
At 12 September, 2006 14:46, Blogger ms. c said...

Enjoy your holiday!
Your plan sounds like a good one, and you seem to be in a good state of mind! Wonderful.

 
At 12 September, 2006 22:08, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

I don't know if it's good news or bad news that they didn't find anything new. I can imagine how frustrating "unexplained" is.
I hope your vacation is fabulous!

 
At 13 September, 2006 22:15, Blogger ellie said...

yeah! congrats about moving on up to IVF. Enjoy your holiday!

 
At 14 September, 2006 20:45, Blogger Thalia said...

fab news about the appointment. At long last, IVF. May this be the trick!

I hope you had a great break.

 
At 15 September, 2006 04:12, Blogger ninaB said...

It's good to be moving forward, but at the same time I wish you didn't have to.
Have a lovely holiday and good luck with the upcoming cycle (!). I'll check back on your progress.

 
At 17 September, 2006 16:57, Blogger Millie said...

I hope you are enjoying your well-deserved vacation.

Your consult sounds great. You will be cycling so very soon. I wish you lots of luck with your upcoming cycle.

 

<< Home