Monday, September 18, 2006

The perks

After a very relaxing holiday, I'm back where I belong, behind my computer.

We spent 10 days in splendid isolation, in a cottage in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by vineyards and orchards. Lovely, but awful quiet.

Being childless has it's perks, and we took advantage of them. Going on a last-minute holiday for one, or taking long tours to see cute villages or wonders of nature, visiting museums, dining in or out as the mood takes us ...

After a while, I could picture myself choosing to live childless*, and if not loving it, appreciating it at least. There would always be a regret, for sure, but it wouldn't be right underneath the surface as it is now. Or so I imagine.

You can tell I succeeded pretty well in taking a mental break from IF, and found it much to my liking. Not that I forgot completely, there were times when a feeling of melancholy descended upon me that was hard to shrug off. Actually, whenever I let my mind wander, it headed straight there. That, and seeing a PG women or young mother amongst all the vacationing pensioners (rare occurrence luckily).

I was a little sad to leave, because it meant going back to the grind of IF (and work).
The landlady cured me though, by innocently asking us whether we had any little ones waiting for us at home. No. Well, perhaps you'll have a little Vineyardian soon, she added. I just laughed, and thought IF ONLY. Thus, reality came to find me and I was ready to go home.



* This is not on the table right now, but it could be in the future. I have to try IVF at least once.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 19 September, 2006 00:16, Blogger soralis said...

Sounds like a lovely holiday! Take care

 
At 19 September, 2006 03:43, Blogger My Reality said...

Welcome home. It does sound like you had a great time!

 
At 19 September, 2006 06:00, Blogger sube said...

Nice to see you're taking advantage of the perks. We might as well enjoy them, I guess.

 
At 19 September, 2006 10:12, Blogger katty said...

I'm glad you had a lovely holiday.
Look after yourself....

 
At 19 September, 2006 10:33, Anonymous Meri-ann said...

Welcome back- sounds like paradise & peaceful bliss....

 
At 19 September, 2006 12:46, Blogger Meg said...

Lut - so glad you managed to relax for a bit. That's great to hear. x

 
At 19 September, 2006 15:23, Blogger Baby Blues said...

Yes the perks are just lovely! I told my hubby that if we do end up not having kids, I wouldn't mind, as long as we get to travel in different countries every month. We would just have to enjoy the good life!
I'm glad you had fun! I'd do anything just go on a trip and leave my IF worries behind.

 
At 19 September, 2006 16:56, Blogger katty said...

Tagged. Hope you don't mind....

 
At 19 September, 2006 17:25, Blogger Thalia said...

Welcome home, it's good to have you back. Will you post us a picture or two?

 
At 19 September, 2006 18:53, Blogger Alli said...

Glad you had a nice time. It was relaxing just to read about the solitude! :)

 
At 20 September, 2006 00:03, Blogger Beagle said...

I hate reality checks!

I'm glad you had a nice vacation and (for the most part)a well deserved break from the drain of this IF thing.

 
At 20 September, 2006 02:56, Blogger Fertile Soul said...

Welcome back. I hope this ivf is successful, making all the struggle finally worth it.

 
At 20 September, 2006 19:57, Blogger Twisted Ovaries said...

Being childless has it's perks, and we took advantage of them. Going on a last-minute holiday for one, or taking long tours to see cute villages or wonders of nature, visiting museums, dining in or out as the mood takes us ...

After a while, I could picture myself choosing to live childless


MAN, I know just how you feel on all of that. The spur of the moment holidays are great, and sometimes I think-maybe I could be ok childless. Then, I look at all the pregnant family members, and think of Aidan's children someday having their own children and think: I so can't handle this.

Glad you had a great break.

 
At 20 September, 2006 23:05, Blogger namaste said...

Welcome back! You were missed! Very glad to hear that you had a lovely holiday with almost no thoughts of babies or baby-making. :)

 
At 22 September, 2006 01:57, Blogger one of the girls said...

Welcome home, Lut! Great to have you back, and wonderful to hewar about the relaxation. I know what you mean about the perks, having just had a wonderful holiday that I could not imagine with children... But the alternative is what keeps us trying...

 

<< Home