Thursday, October 26, 2006

Watch it

Nothing is going on here. NOTHING! And I thought IVF was going to be a whirlwind of action and excitement. (Read: I had hoped to be stimming by now).

Last Friday, I took the last BCP and started waiting for my period to show up. It's been so long since I last took BCPs, I can't remember how long it used to take for my period to show up. Not a clue. At the last appointment, when I got my protocol, the doctor estimated it would take 3 to 4 days. It's been 5 days, and still not a sign.

What to do? Be patient? Until Friday? Sunday? Next week? Or call the doctor now? After some back and forth, I decided to call. Of course.
The doctor didn't seem concerned and reassured me that there might only be a minimal amount of blood loss. In any case, I can come in on Monday, period or no period. Good, now I can put a ticker on my site.*


For your amusement, this is a tidbit I read in a women's magazine in an article about severe PMS:

Can PMS be treated with medication? A few years ago, a promising treatment came out in the market in the form of a nose-spray.
It supresses PMS by inducing an artificial menopause. Unfortunately it causes hot flashes and sweating, which hasn't made it very popular.

Sound familiar? Since my last post, I've been experiencing some of these lovely side-effects. Not too bad though, but noticeable.

Right, back to periodwatch.

* I didn't say that of course. And I'm too lazy to put a ticker on.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 26 October, 2006 05:23, Anonymous Jys said...

Lut, hope your period gets here soon! AF sux - when you DON'T want her, she shows up right then, and when you need her to get here, she takes her sweet time.

I know after the pill, it usually took a few days for AF, but I don't recall how many either.

If your doc isn't concerned you shouldn't be either, and its a good thing that by Monday you will have an appt either way.

Good luck and may she get here soon!!!! :) :) :)

 
At 26 October, 2006 10:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, come on... no ticker??

I remember AF was always like clockwork after stopping the pill. It came on day... wait, I know this one... Sigh. At least there's Monday.

Bea

 
At 26 October, 2006 12:31, Anonymous Meri-ann said...

If you wear your flashiest pair of white lacey underpants your period will be there in no time!!

 
At 26 October, 2006 13:22, Blogger Thalia said...

Ugh, there is always some way in which our bodies can screw us over again. Let's hope that this is just a minor stumble on the way to a successful cycle.

(AND NB you fates: "successful" means "live take home baby", and not any other definition of the term).

 
At 26 October, 2006 16:19, Blogger Millie said...

I find that expensive new white underwear, or expensive new high thread count sheets, often do the trick. Here's to starting soon.

 
At 26 October, 2006 18:10, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Maybe if you get out an HPT your period will show up!

I was concerned this cycle because my "Lupron bleed" was very light and lasted 5 days instead of 3-4 when it's heavy. Now I'm looking at it and counting my blessings. No cramps = wonderful! And my lining was just thin so I guess those BCPs kept it from really building up.

Anyone who has taken Lupron or Synarel involuntarily would never dream of taking it voluntarily... no matter how bad their PMS was!

 
At 26 October, 2006 18:27, Blogger fisher queen said...

Unfotunately is wasn't popular because it made you feel worse than PMS did...

 
At 27 October, 2006 00:41, Blogger namaste said...

I'm not sure if I even had a period after the BCP's before starting the stimming protocol. I think the important factor is suppressing your ovaries and getting them both lined up at the starting gate at the same time, not necessarily whether or not you get your period. So try not to stress too much... I'm not sure AF is even necessary...

 
At 27 October, 2006 00:54, Blogger S said...

Yick, waiting for periods during a cycle SUCKS! You might not actually get a "bleed"-I was told that I might or or might not get one, depending on how much I was suppressed (especially overlapping the Lupron/Synarel with the BCP's).

Ugh, hope that the side effects subside soon......it'll get better once you start stims, really.

Hey, btw, if you could, add me to the next cycle list for Oct/Nov-it's time for FET #3!

 
At 27 October, 2006 21:25, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

It's the Murphy's Law of IVF cycles. My "always on time" period was 5 days late before mine. I don't know why but as soon as you want your period, it doesn't show up. I hope things get started soon.

 
At 27 October, 2006 23:05, Blogger Josie said...

Time seems to pass so slowly during IVF and we put out bodies under a microscope and read into every little sign. My nurse told me when we started to be prepared to move in months not weeks with IVF. Boy was she correct. I hope AF visits soon and that she doesn't come back for a good 9+ months.

 
At 28 October, 2006 13:46, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, have you tried lighting a cigarette? No, wait, that's for waiting for buses.

I know intellectually that our "reproductive" systems (sorry, I can't help the quotation marks anymore) don't have underhanded motives. They're not actively out to get us. But it's so hard, with so much evidence to the contrary.

I do hope your AF has shown up by now. Let's get this show on the road.

Taking suppression medication to alleviate PMS seems a bit... unwise. Considering that people going through menopause take hormones to alleviate their symptoms...

You asked about my friend with the killer suggestion combo "Why don't you just do IVF?"/"Why don't you just relax?" The answer is, no, her IVF was not successful. Granted, yes, that makes her suggestions all the odder.

 

<< Home