Friday, November 10, 2006

It's a date!

This morning's wanding revealed a dozen almost mature follicles (and some stragglers). Everything looked ready, according to the dr, and the bloodwork confirmed it. Retrieval is set for this Sunday.

Upon my doctor's advice, I will be knocked out for the procedure. Normally they give a local anaesthetic, but with my oddly placed LO, that would probably be too painful. It won't be a real general anaesthetic, but a short working kind that leaves you half conscious and able to blab away uncontrollably. I'll just have to trust the doctor and nurses not to interrogate me ... or that letter might come in handy sooner than I thought!

I asked when transfer would be, day 3 or day 5. To my surprise he said day 3 was most likely, if we have a lot of embryo's.
From reading your blogs, I was under the impression that it was generally the other way around. The idea being that if there are a reasonable number of embryo's, you can afford to wait until day 5 and risk losing some along the way. I didn't ask any further, the morning wanding is supposed to go swiftly and other ladies were waiting for their turn. It's not like I get to decide anyway.

I'm excited that we've made it this far and a little bit nervous about what is to come. I do feel a bit hopeful, but not that it will work the first time, only that it *might* work eventually.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 10 November, 2006 21:49, Blogger Heather said...

YAY! I'm excited for you. Hope it goes well!

 
At 10 November, 2006 22:01, Blogger S said...

Awesome news Lut! Yah, trust me, you totally don't want to be conscious for the ER. Actually, whatever it is they give you will give you some amnesia, so you'll literally close your eyes and then, you'll wake up in recovery.

Good luck with the ER! I'll be thinking of you!

 
At 10 November, 2006 22:25, Blogger Josie said...

I talk uncontrollably with the anesthesia. After 2 cyst aspirations and two ERs the aide knows so much about me and even more about my dog. She now asks me about Matisse (dog) when she sees me in the hall. Last time I talked about how I want chickens!?!?!

It really is better being knocked out - it goes so fast and then you wake up in recovery. Super easy!

 
At 10 November, 2006 23:57, Anonymous Meri-ann said...

Good luck!!

 
At 11 November, 2006 00:32, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Good luck--I was knocked out for my transfer and highly recommend it! Like Josie said--it goes fast and you wake up in recovery.

 
At 11 November, 2006 04:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for a dozen eggs, good luck!
Day 5 does seem to be more usual - especially with lots of eggs, but Day 3 is a good day for embryo judgement too.
Enjoy the drugs!

 
At 11 November, 2006 04:49, Blogger Millie said...

I think the twilight anesthetia is the way to go. You really don't want to be fully with it. As for 3 day vs 5 day, clinics each have their own ideas about what works best for them. Many feel the embies do best when they're put back fairly quickly.

Best of luck on Sunday.

 
At 11 November, 2006 07:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally lean towards early transfers, at least at this point. I think that's a great idea to start with, although I agree it doesn't make sense relating it back to how many embryos you get.

Good luck with the EPU!

Bea

 
At 11 November, 2006 09:40, Blogger Twisted Ovaries said...

I'm cheering for you too. We do 2 day transfers here, I don't know anyone who's gotten to go to 5, so I'm in the same situation as you!

 
At 11 November, 2006 18:09, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Lut, I am so happy that your retrieval has been scheduled AND that they're going to knock you out (at least partially!) It is a good thing.

Every lab/clinic seems to have different ideas with 3 vs 5 - and all seem to have success, so whatever they decide will be fine!

Wishing you ALL the best for a successful ER tomorrow!

 
At 11 November, 2006 18:21, Blogger Thalia said...

If your clinic isn't a blast clinic, then it's better you get those embryos back on day 3. If they are good at blasts, and you have at least six good looking ones on day 3, then I'd ask them again about blast transfer.

But YAay on the numbers, and good luck for tomorrow. They call that knockout, "twilight sedation" at my clinic. I find it great. I remember nothing, and yet don't feel shitty like I do after a GA. Just like lots of G&Ts without the hangover.

I will be thinking of you.

 
At 11 November, 2006 22:30, Anonymous Nina said...

Good luck tomorrow! I will be thinking of you and wish you all the luck in the world and am most hopeful for this to work for you! Don't have the time now, but will get back to you regarding the Swedish practice towards day 2/3 or day 5 transfer!

Good luck, many hugs!

/Nina

 
At 12 November, 2006 02:35, Blogger zhl said...

Sounds great, Lut C. Hope the retrieval goes well. Being knocked out is a good idea.

 
At 12 November, 2006 18:27, Blogger Lara said...

Well today is the day and I hope all went well! Good Luck!! Crossing fingers and toes for you...

 
At 12 November, 2006 19:05, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

I have a bit of dizziness and nausea after the twilight sedation has worn off but other than that, no probs. Good luck today!

 

<< Home