Monday, January 01, 2007

Jan 1st is just another day

Like Nina, I really need a break from IF. Where is the OFF button, dammit!?
Like Nina, I've had to settle for a break from IF blogging. But that's over now,
so let us mention it no more.

The holidays weren't too hard on me, lots of good food enjoyed with
good company. Only the traditional new years visit to my extended
family was a bit hard, even though there is only one cute pre-schooler
to be jealous of. It made me realize one thing: though I'm not
feeling as depressed now as I felt a month or two ago, I'm not back to
my old self. It feels like I've looked down the pit of despair, but
managed to scramble away from the edge, but just by a meter. Not a
wide margin.

The visit to the in-laws will be next weekend. You'll be glad to know
that photographic Christmas cards have made it here. Boy was I happy
to see the cherubic little faces of the Nephews when I opened the
mail. And I mean cherubic in the most literal sense, as one was even
wearing angel wings. (When he turns 16, I'm digging that one up
again!)

A quick cycle update:
my period arrived finally on the 23d of December (= 6th day after the
last BCP!), started BCPs again on the 25th, phoned my dr when he
returned a couple of days later to make arrangements for a baseline
scan.
Since 6 days seems to be the average it takes for my period to show
after a round of BCPs, I asked whether I could book an appointment for
a baseline scan during that window.
Dr: No problem, we could even do it now as nothing will change as long
as you're on the pill.
Me: Really?
Dr: Are you sniffing already?
Me: No, you told me to do another full round of BCPs first.
Dr: Ah yes. Why don't you come in straight after this course of BCPs.
Me: OK.
Me: (to myself) Darn, should have suggested I could starting sniffing
straight away, since I've already done the rest cycle on BCPs

This made me wonder what the baseline scan is actually for. To check
for cysts? That's assuming none can develop while on BCPs. To look at
the endometrium? To check hormone levels?

Anyway, I now have a baseline scan booked for the 22nd of January. I
expect my period to arrive two days later, if at all. I suppose I
won't be allowed to stim before that. We'll see.

Meanwhile, best wishes to you all for the New Year.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 01 January, 2007 22:12, Blogger Thalia said...

You could start sniffing right away - or you could do a shorter than expected stint on these bcps. Nothing happens while you're on them so no particular reason to do a whole set if you don't want to...

 
At 02 January, 2007 01:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just ring the doctor back and say you want to start straight away.

I think the scan is to check for cysts - some people have a few lingering after a cycle.

Glad you're back.

 
At 02 January, 2007 01:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have questions, it might be worth asking the Doc? He's getting enough money, he should be willing to return a phone call.
On my baseline US they checked for the things you mentioned, but they also checked for number of super tiny beginning follicles, and uterine areterial blood flow, which is easier to see pre-drugs, and good for comparison to later blood flow. (It's supposed to be high at ovulation and calmer and lower 7-8 days later for implantation.)

 
At 02 January, 2007 03:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. I am glad that your holiday went okay. All the best for this upcoming cycle.

 
At 02 January, 2007 08:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah - what was the original reason he wanted the extra BCPs then? Maybe he had one? If not - why not start as soon as you're ready. I've never used them, so to be honest I'd only be guessing at what they're for, hence the confusion on my part as to why you can't start now, *if* you want to.

I also only have "baseline" bloods on day 6 of the stim cycle - immediately prior to stimming - or day 8 of an FET cycle - also immediately prior to stimming. Obviously quite different protocols, so not sure how to explain what they're looking for. I suspect "anything out of the ordinary" is the answer.

Bea

 
At 02 January, 2007 08:55, Anonymous Meri-ann said...

Best wishes to you too, Lut. I hope with everything that your next cycle is short & sweet x

 
At 02 January, 2007 20:27, Anonymous Manuela said...

What Thalia said...

So wishing you luck this time 'round, girl!!!!

 
At 03 January, 2007 01:31, Blogger Millie said...

Best wishes to you as well, this year and with this next cycle.

 
At 03 January, 2007 02:48, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

Happy New Year! It sounds like the family visits came and went without too much insanity. I hope that the new year and new cycle bring good things your way.

 
At 03 January, 2007 18:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you are feeling a little more like "yourself". Sometimes a break from IF blogging can help you mentally!

Happy New Year, Lut.

 
At 04 January, 2007 02:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back and glad to hear that you've got a plan for starting again.

 
At 04 January, 2007 22:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back too! I know what you mean about taking a break. My break from blogging was good for me too.

The baseline scan is usually to check for cysts and make sure that your lining is gone right before starting stims. Sometimes they also do an antral follicle count too, but it depends on the doc. I don't know of any situtation where a scan would be done if you aren't wanting to start a stim cycle directly after.

Wishing you all the best this next round (WITH FERTILIZATION, PLEASE!)

 
At 05 January, 2007 12:13, Blogger Angie said...

Wishing you a great upcoming cycle. I hope this new year is filled with wonderful surprises!

 
At 05 January, 2007 15:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes It all just seems too complicated and I haven't even begun my 1st round of IVF

 
At 06 January, 2007 06:41, Anonymous shazz said...

Sorry Im late but Happy New Year!! Wishing you good luck for what ever you decide to do....kick arse girl!

 
At 10 January, 2007 03:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!

I've never managed to find the off button for infertility and while there is one for blogging, I can't bring myslef to push it anyway!

 

<< Home