Friday, February 16, 2007

Highly illogical

A number of you seem to think I'm coping rather well. Really?
Come to think of it, I suppose I am, for the moment. I am working and actually getting things done. Life at home is pretty much as usual too. The only thing that betrays my subconcious anxiety is bad dreams and the urge to cry when I think about my PG co-worker/friend. I feel deeply betrayed, which is highly illogical, but makes sense all the same. I don't want her to know that, ever, she's been very supportive to me. Fortunately, she'll be out of office for the next two weeks. Hopefully I'll have processed some of this feeling by then, or not, depending on our outcome. Sigh. Still, I'm not a sobbing mess yet, as long as I'm analyzing my feelings, I'm still more or less ok.

But, I wouldn't be my natural worrying self, if I hadn't developed a new pet worry. You're going to love this, it involves food and drink. Actually, just drink.

I quit drinking alcohol halfway through my stims. Even if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt either.
On transfer day, I also quit drinking coffee. I know my moderate consumption of two cups a day (not too strong coffee either), should not affect the outcome. Thalia once posted about a study on caffeine and fertility, which concluded that there was no proof that coffee was harmful. Still, I thought it would ease my mind, so out with the coffee.

But one has to drink something. Fruit juice has too much sugar in it (natural sugar is also sugar). I don't drink diet sodas, they taste foul. I turned to tea, herbal tea mostly with little or no caffeine.
Now for the pet worry. Some herbs have medicinal properties, say preventing PG or inducing miscarriage. My rational mind says, those herbs won't be in mainstream herbal tea's. There would be urban legends about it. Or documentaries. And websites. My rational mind also says, stay away from Google.

Therefor, I'm putting the question to you. Please tell me I'm crazy for worrying about these teas:

  • Green tea with mint (aroma and leaves)
  • Green tea with lemon grass and lemon peel
  • Black tea with rosehip, cinnamon, clove and coriander
  • Tilia flower tea
  • Camomile tea
  • 'Wild' berry tea: Hibiscus, rosehips, roasted chicory root, orange peel, blackberry leaves, natural flavors of: black raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, red raspberries, cranberries and cherries, citric acid, licorice root.

One herb used in teas that has medicinal properties is St-John's wort. Ironically, one property is that it lessens the effectiveness of BCPs.

What's done is done, the tea is in, I can't take it back. Next time, I'm sticking to coffee and hot chocolate. Better the devil you know!

Do they sell astronaut food for PG women? Just out of curiosity.

(Note: expect an echo of this post to appear. I mailed to Blogger first, but it seems to be stuck in traffic somewhere.)

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At 16 February, 2007 16:12, Anonymous N said...

So we are both kind of obsessed with "drinking". I know one of my best friends didn't drink anything with pepermint, i.e. pepermint tean while she was pg. She didn't even brush her teeth with pepermint toothpaste. Her baby was conceived New Year eve being totally drunk. So, I guess the tea wouldn't really have done any damage...

I heard that fennel tea is very healthy in every life situation. I drink it a lot and loooove it. It's my second favorite drink, right after Champagne....oh ok, and Cosmopolitans and Mojitos.

Have a good weekend Lut. I'm thinking of you and have my fingers crossed. Hugs.

 
At 16 February, 2007 16:58, Blogger ellie said...

Hmm, Doesn't green tea have caffeine in it? I'd say the peppermint is good for upset tummies. Overall I am pretty much of the mind that you should drink or eat it if it makes you feel better- I mean don't we have to give up alot already?

 
At 16 February, 2007 17:27, Blogger serenity said...

I think you're ok with the teas. I do know that green tea has some caffeine, but the antioxidents more than outweigh the small issue with the caffeine.

I probably will be worrying about the same thing in a month's time - so I feel your pain.

Have a good weekend, and keep hanging in there. I do think you are doing a stellar job of coping.

Crossing fingers.

 
At 16 February, 2007 19:24, Anonymous margo said...

I think that you're fine on the teas. Keep hanging in there Lut. Fingers and toes are crossed.

 
At 16 February, 2007 19:31, Blogger Carol said...

I quit the coffee too, and now drink Green Ginger tea every day - it's green tea, with a bit of ginger. I love it. Made by Tazo, I just buy it at the grocery store. I think the added ginger helps the queasy stomach a bit.

My acupuncturists convinced me that the tiny bit of caffeine in green tea is far better for you than the other nasty stuff in coffee,even decaf coffee. I never got a clear answer on what that other 'nasty stuff' in the coffee was - but apparently the TCM crowd frowns on it.

I saw a show recently where this question came up - the doc on that show said that some herbs can cause contractions, or other pregnancy issues, etc. - but only in very high quantities and that the quantity in a normal cup of tea is nowhere near the amount that wuold do anything to you.

 
At 16 February, 2007 20:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lurker here - i was drinking decaf green tea, and thot i'd google to be on the safe side and found articles which suggest a chemical in green tea that blocks folate, thus impacting birth defects. not sure if it's fully substantiated, but it was enough for me to switch to decaf black tea.

 
At 17 February, 2007 01:24, Blogger Bea said...

Ok, here's my take.

1. Don't drink much of any one thing. That way, when you read an old wives' tale about it in weeks to come, you still won't have to freak out.

2. I know of no old wives'tales offhand which would contraindicate those teas.

3. Get creative with tea! You can steep just about anything in hot water and call it tea. Even ants! (Seriously.) Favourites: a cinnamon stick and/or some orange peel (any citrus peel is good), berries, bits of ginger root with lemon peel and honey or palm sugar, fresh mint with or without green tea, some flowers.

You don't need a teapot for this - just get a tea strainer. You can either strain into a second cup or, if lazy, place the strainer over the top of the cup and sip through it.

You'll have plenty of safe stuff to drink.

Bea

 
At 17 February, 2007 04:16, Blogger My Reality said...

Yes, you are crazy for worrying about the teas. :)

I think moderation is the key to it all.

 
At 17 February, 2007 05:21, Blogger Sparkle said...

Most of the over the top warnings with these things are there to stop people going overboard. Everything in moderation is okay - my doc. told me to have a coffee if I wanted one - he said just don't have 4 a day!

In my 2WW I did stuff like eat oysters - because it was Christmas, and I knew they were fresh. It's the 'chance' of eating a bad one, that makes it a risk - the same with the soft cheese.

So ... calm down ... the teas are healthy and don't forget all the healthy babies born on a diet of junk food and crack!

 
At 17 February, 2007 08:06, Blogger Anna said...

I think I have heard of studies that suggest that drinking tea actually increases your chances getting pregnant.

And it must suck to work with someone pg, especially if that person is your friend. No advice here, just hoping that you find a way to cope with it, one way or another.

 
At 17 February, 2007 09:08, Blogger katty said...

I do not think the teas will make or break your chance of pregnancy. As for caffeine, there was an article in the guardian this week saying that there is no proof that caffeine is as bad for you during pregnancy as people say, and then another article yesterday saying that the fish warnings were far too scaremongery and pregnant women shouldn't be put off fish. And here in the UK we are told we can drink 1-2 glasses of wine a week while pregnant, while in the US every glass of wine seems to represent a horror.
Do not worry too much. As someone else said: go for moderation and you should be fine.
And Lut... I'm hoping for you. Really, really, really, really good luck.

 
At 17 February, 2007 10:44, Anonymous shazz said...

Don't stress you have enough on your mind right now! As its been said.... moderation sweety.
Thinking of you. xx

 
At 17 February, 2007 16:12, Blogger lucky #2 said...

I am sure the tea isn't terrible unless you are drinking 10 pots a day!!

My OB friend told me during one of my 2 ww waits that there isn't much you can do during this stage to help/hurt your chances. She point blank told me, "It will either work or it won't." At the time, I was taken back by this as I wanted to have SOME control over this stage, but it also helped remind me to let nature (with the RE's intervention) take its course. Easier said than done!

I'm thinking of you and am going to go drink a cup of tea in your honor!

 
At 17 February, 2007 18:24, Blogger Aurelia said...

I don't think it matters...there are so many babies concieved by women drinking and eating and shooting up God knows what, a little tea, really isn't going to make a difference.

 
At 18 February, 2007 00:54, Anonymous Orodemniades said...

No raspberry leaf, please. Drink plenty of it the last two weeks of your pregnancy (nbhhy) for strong cramps and a fast delivery as raspberry leaf stimulates the uterus.

Oro

 
At 18 February, 2007 04:42, Blogger Lindsey said...

I have previously read 2 studies that suggest one 8oz. cup of green tea (caf or decaf) can be helpful with fertility. However, I can't remember the specifics nor where I read these studies. Like many other ladies, I'd suggest moderation. Perhaps the good will come about with just the increased conscientious effort to be nicer to your body and to make a more comfortable home for that embryo.
Good luck! And enjoy your tea! I love mine with a dab of honey and almond milk.

 
At 18 February, 2007 11:20, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, I'm a worry wart myself about all sorts of things, so I will refrain from saying "I wouldn't worry". But I do honestly think you're completely OK with the teas.

 
At 18 February, 2007 14:48, Blogger Thalia said...

Like others have said, steer clear of the red raspberry. Also, green tea only in moderation as there is evidence that green tea interferes with folic acid uptake. One cup a day max.

I know it's tough. I've basically got no hot drinks left as the pregnancy books all have things to say about one herb or another. Ginger tea and peppermint tea seem to come out ok, plus I've got one favourite which is camomile with spearmint, can't see what harm that's doing so I've stuck to it.

 
At 19 February, 2007 01:03, Blogger Bumble said...

I'm sure MOST teas are just fine. There aren't any bad ones I know of, so don't worry yourself over that. Hope you're doing okay, only a few more days to go. Holding thumbs for you...

 
At 19 February, 2007 04:36, Blogger Kris said...

No news on the teas, but I was totally obsessed with the same thoughts. I just ended up drinking plain water.

 
At 20 February, 2007 01:54, Anonymous projgen said...

I'm no help in the tea department, but I'm a big believer in "everything in moderation." (including moderation, as Julia Child adds, thereby justifying that occasional pint of Ben & Jerry's downed in one sitting!)

All bits crossed for you Lut!

 

<< Home