Thursday, May 31, 2007

18w4d - taking a peek

In brief: the Insider is alive and kicking

After more than a month, it was finally time to have another look at the Insider. At 18w4d it's a bit too early for a real anatomical scan, but we had it now since we're leaving on holiday this weekend.

The scan didn't take very long, but long enough to ease our minds.  Our doctor paused briefly to measure the head and look at the abdomen. Everything is still very small at this age, but as far as she could tell everything looks fine.

We could clearly see the Insider's tiny feet and legs moving around. I can't feel the movement yet, though I often wonder whether those twinges I feel are actually soft kicks or just twinges. It could easily take another couple of weeks before I figure it out.

Finally, the doctor told us what gender the Insider has. She's not entirely sure, so the next scan will have to confirm.  We're keeping the news to ourselves though, so I'm not going to tell the entire internet either.  I would have been happy not to know, but my husband insisted. He doesn't want to discuss boy and girl names, just the kind we need. Unisex names are out of the question.


Many times, I feel amazed at how far we've come. I can hardly believe it still. We haven't bought a single item of baby attributes yet. We have received our first baby gift: a colourful wrist rattle. Wow, for us?!

How I wish for positive news for all of you.

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 01 June, 2007 00:48, Blogger Carol said...

glad to hear that things are going well!

 
At 01 June, 2007 02:18, Anonymous Sarah said...

Congrats...so glad to hear that you are 18 weeks already and that everything is going well.

 
At 01 June, 2007 02:56, Blogger My Reality said...

Congrats on a great scan!

 
At 01 June, 2007 03:33, Blogger Beagle said...

Wow, you're almost halfway there!
Enjoy your holiday. Maybe you can buy your first baby item there, a cute tshirt with a really touristy logo or soemthing.

 
At 01 June, 2007 04:00, Anonymous luolin said...

I'm glad the news is good.
Naming was my husband's reason for wanting to know the sex of our fetus as well.

 
At 01 June, 2007 04:08, Blogger millie said...

Hope you have a nice holiday. How very nice to get such good and reassuring news before you leave on holiday.

I second Beagle's suggestion. Buy something for the Insider on holiday.

I guess we don't get to hear any of the names under consideration? And since no unisex names then Pat is off the table?

 
At 01 June, 2007 10:05, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, that's fantastic news! I'm so happy to hear it. Now you can enjoy your holiday to the hilt!

Baby things still freak me out, too...

 
At 01 June, 2007 13:24, Blogger Sarah said...

congratulations!! how wonderful!

 
At 01 June, 2007 14:18, Blogger serenity said...

Oh Lut - wonderful news!

 
At 01 June, 2007 14:48, Blogger Thalia said...

it's wonderful news, Lut, although I can't believe you are keeping the gender a secret!

 
At 01 June, 2007 16:21, Blogger lucky #2 said...

Yeah for a great scan before your holiday!

Are you sure you won't share the gender with us? Pretty, pretty please?

 
At 02 June, 2007 03:45, Blogger projgen said...

Yay! How cool to be able to see little Insider's feet and legs moving - does that somehow make it feel more real?

So very, very excited for you. And I don't even need to know which gender ;)

 
At 02 June, 2007 12:46, Blogger Meg said...

Lut - I can't believe you are 18 weeks already. So glad to hear things are going well. :)

 
At 05 June, 2007 17:14, Blogger Aurelia said...

I'm glad this scan went well. After all this time, you really do deserve such lovely news. I hope we hear from you when you come back from vacation!

 
At 06 June, 2007 15:23, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I so glad that everything is going so well. Enjoy your trip!

 
At 30 June, 2007 03:20, Blogger Just another Jenny said...

I hope your having a great time on holdiay. I bet you and Nina had a great time comparing bellies.

 

<< Home