Thursday, August 23, 2007

30w5d: I'm discreet that way

In brief: Insider has grown appropriately, still in breech. Am still not showing to the casual observer!

Today we had another appointment with our ob/gyn to check on how well the Insider is doing in there.
The doctor was satisfied that all is as it should be and the baby has grown appropriately, and even caught up some. Sometimes they grow in spurts, she said. In any case, we're both much relieved.

Nothing has changed where the Insider's position is concerned, still firmly head up. Again, the doctor mentioned a C-section. Only this time she added that planned C-sections are generally performed at 38 weeks, not 40. Good to know, since my current planning has me working until then (though I keep telling everyone I'm not making firm commitments for the last weeks).

The doctor is very reluctant to attempt to turn the baby through external manipulation, mainly because of the anterior placenta and also because this is a first pregnancy. The uterus isn't that flexible with a first, which is probably why the baby is stuck in breech in the first place.

I'm still hoping the Insider will turn on his/her own, but if not, so be it. I will be the tiniest bit disappointed in not getting to experience a regular delivery, especially after reading up on options and preparing myself. Also, it would be nice to know my body is capable of giving birth. Of course, 'nice to know' is hardly a priority here.

Over the past weeks, I've been wondering whether or not I'm showing. As of today I need no longer wonder.
To wit this conversation I had today, with a business contact I last saw a month ago:

Me: I won't be participating in project XYZ because I will be away for some months.
BC: oh really, where are you going?
Me: I'm going on maternity leave?
BC: Really?! When?
Me: October 15th
BC (stunned): You're 7 months PG??? I had no idea!
Me: Yeah, I don't know where the baby is hiding.

To be fair, I was wearing a loose top today, which does make it harder to see. However, the fact that I can still use some of my regular pants (not buttoned, but with an elastic band) confirms my suspicions that I'm still not showing that much. Of course, I'm talking about my roomiest pants, the pre-nutritionist pants, not the post-nutritionist pants. If I remember correctly, I lost 6 kg before our ICSI cycle, and it seems I haven't quite gained them all back yet. This is good, as with my BMI, it would be good if I gain no more than 10 kg in total.
A good friend admonished me to leave the loose tops be and wear the tighter ones! It's now or never (for rubenesque girls like us). And she's right, only it makes me feel so conspicuous!

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 24 August, 2007 01:15, Blogger Bea said...

Wow, how very discrete of you!

Bea

 
At 24 August, 2007 02:01, Anonymous Sassy said...

How cool. You have a stealth baby. Maybe the baby will be a ninja when it grows up!

In all seriousness it's great to hear things are still going so well for you. *fingers crossed bubs rolls over for you* but if not, it sounds like you've got a good doctor there to take care of you both.

 
At 24 August, 2007 02:14, Blogger My Reality said...

Maybe the lack of showing is a good thing - no unsolicited belly rubs and assvice from people!

 
At 24 August, 2007 02:45, Blogger hadjare said...

How does the doctor know the baby is still breech? Can they tell by just feeling your tummy or is it from an ultrasound?

 
At 24 August, 2007 04:10, Blogger soralis said...

Turn baby turn!

 
At 24 August, 2007 06:01, Blogger Patience said...

Maybe you'll explode soon??? ;)

 
At 24 August, 2007 07:34, Blogger Tinker said...

One of the things I love about being pregnant is having a legitimate excuse for my belly to stick out. It's amazing though that you're *still* not showing to the casual observer.

 
At 24 August, 2007 14:11, Blogger Anna said...

I had a stealth baby too! When I wen to the hospital for a Stat induction (at 38w6d), the paitners who were at my house were alarmed.
"They're going to induce you? Now?!" "Yeah" I replied. I have pre-eclampsia."
"But you're only 5 months!"
"Oh no! I'm actually only 10 days away from my due date."
"Really? Wow, you're carrying really small."

Yeah, I did, but he was 7 pounds, so I guess he was just hiding. I gained 33 pounds, so... draw from that what you will.

Glad to hear everything is going well with you! :)

 
At 24 August, 2007 20:25, Blogger Beagle said...

A stealth baby . . . sounds so cool! I hope he/she turns for you.

 
At 25 August, 2007 09:37, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, it's amazing that you aren't really showing yet! I wonder how things will develop in the next few weeks...

Hoping your Insider figures out soon which way is down. As for a C-section, here they do one at 39 weeks with first-borns, as first babies tend to go overdue anyway... it's only with subsequent births that the baby tends to be in a bigger hurry, statistically. Is there any chance you could ask about it? (But maybe they treat all pregnancies the same where you are.)

 
At 28 August, 2007 23:17, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Amazing that you are not really showing yet - I can't even imagine. I am "Rubenesque" too - but with twins, I was out of my regular pants by 10 weeks. It is really amazing how different every woman and pregnancy is.

I'm hoping your Insider will move, and I totally understand your primary wish to experience a regular delivery. I agree though, that the priority is a healthy baby, however it comes.

 
At 31 August, 2007 13:41, Anonymous katrina said...

I was looking at this site a couple of days ago... spinningbabies.com It may help...

 
At 31 August, 2007 17:36, Blogger Sara said...

Wow. That's amazing. I'm only 29w4d and I'm huge.

I hope that the insider decides to flip for you. Good luck!

 
At 04 September, 2007 22:41, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I hope that the little one decides to flip over!

 

<< Home