Thursday, April 23, 2009

54,5454...%

That is our fertilization rate, meaning we have 6 embryo's swimming in a lab dish.
A perfectly average fertilization rate, I believe. Excellent.

On Saturday I go back for transfer, if all goes well. My suggestion that none might make it that far was brushed away by the receptionist, "very unlikely". Statistically speaking, and in light of our last cycle, she's probably right. Still, it's what my main worry will be until then.

The current plan is to transfer one. My doctor proposed a single embryo transfer, and I agree. The thought of twins still scares me too much.
There are rules on how many you can transfer back in a cycle paid for by national health care. These rules are intended to cut the rate of multiples born out of ART.
As is so often the case, the rules are a bit foggy at times. Depending on how you read them, I might be allowed to transfer two top quality embryo's this time, or I might only be allowed to transfer 2 if they are of moderate quality, or transferring 2 might be prohibited (meaning I would have to pay for the cycle myself). The criteria are age (under 36 years of age) and the number of previous attempts. The problem lies in what counts as a previous attempt. Our first cycle didn't result in any embryo's, so no transfer could be attempted. Our second cycle was successful, so is it still an "attempt" strictly speaking?

Oh well, it doesn't really matter as long as we go through with the single embryo transfer. It's a gamble and I might regret it later, but that's just the way it is.

The weather has warmed a bit here and Linnea is having a ball playing with water outside.
She's also become very good at clambering on chairs, which always has me holding my breath, will she fall off? Ditto with stairs.
Finally, she has started to try eating with a spoon by herself. And when she's done eating, she likes to spoonfeed me. Hilarious, she giggles with every bite! At daycare, they seem to expect 18 month-olds to eat independantly, but she was still more than happy to be fed.

5 Comments:

At 24 April, 2009 00:38, Blogger Sara said...

Six embryos is fantastic! I hope they all make it to transfer or the freezer.

 
At 24 April, 2009 00:53, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

6 is great indeed. Hoping for a "no news is good news" update until Saturday.

Thinking of you, Lut.

 
At 24 April, 2009 01:56, Blogger My Reality said...

6 is great. Fingers crossed for you, Lut.

 
At 25 April, 2009 05:48, Anonymous SurvivingTTC said...

Good luck on your transfer!!!!!!! I'm excited for you :)
My transfer is scheduled for Friday 30th (FET). I'm back to finally do it - looks like we are cycling at the same time as I had thought :)

 
At 25 April, 2009 21:03, Blogger Larisa said...

Good luck today! Hope it goes great.

 

<< Home