Saturday, October 31, 2009

Much better

In brief: 1 top quality embryo transferred. Exhale.


I slept fitfully last night and woke up early. The trip to the clinic - on my own - was a nervous one. I kept expecting the call to tell me there was no need for me to come in after all.
When it didn't come, I thought they might have forgotten to call me.

One step in the door, so to speak, I asked a kind nurse to check for me. What a relief when she told there would be a transfer!

The transfer procedure was uneventful, if a bit uncomfortable (me there early, them behind schedule makes for a longer time with full bladder) and slightly embarrassing (are lab assistants bound by medical secrecy, because my privates feel rather unprivate right now).

Of the three embryos, two were of top quality and 1 of not-good quality. 1 top quality embryo was transferred, the other is now in the freezer (hopefully with the ambition of being The One that Survives the Thaw). I called my RE yesterday to discuss transferring one or two. He advised us to stick with the plan, and decide based upon quality. The somewhat low maturity rate of this batch, nor my flu-like symptoms (with no fever to speak of) shouldn't make us change our mind, he felt. So, DH and I decided to stick to the plan.

I must say, 2 good embryos out of a total of 3 is astonishing to me. I hadn't dared hope. Then again, not daring to hope has been my motto in all things reproductive since 2005.

I just hope that I didn't promptly eject the defenseless little embryo in the coughing fit I had just ten minutes after transfer. I believe I read somewhere that that isn't possible, but then why do they make you lie down afterwards for half an hour when all you want is to go to the bathroom?

Now back to what I've been practicing so much, crossing my fingers and twiddlng my thumbs. Care to join me?

Meanwhile, thanks for all your kind words of support, I needed those.


8 Comments:

At 31 October, 2009 20:59, Blogger My Reality said...

I will cross my fingers right along with you.

 
At 01 November, 2009 00:30, Blogger Heather said...

Thinking of you!!!

 
At 01 November, 2009 11:27, Blogger Thalia said...

Sounds like things went well in the end.

The reasons they make you lie down are: (i) so you feel they are doing something and (ii) because they've messed with the cervix and this can make you faint. You can't eject the embryo, because (i) it's just been placed into a gooey, sticky space, and (ii) your coughing muscles don't make the uterus contract.

Hang in there.

 
At 01 November, 2009 17:11, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, that sounds like a very good result! I will be continuing my top-notch hoping on your behalf.

And I'm glad Thalia cleared up the business about coughing. The 2WW is bad enough as it is...

Hope little Linnea distracts you beautifully!

 
At 02 November, 2009 01:54, Blogger Sparkle said...

Great result - so was it an 8-cell that was transferred (and frozen)?

I've never been told to lie down after transfer - just 'hop up when you're ready'!

Fingers crossed.

 
At 02 November, 2009 16:05, Blogger serenity said...

Fingers crossed here.

Funny, after transfer I've always been herded out of my clinic. Sort of anti-climatic to see those sparkles go into my uterus and then be told "you're all set, go ahead and put your clothes on." Was always odd to me.

Shall twiddle thumbs here on your behalf. Let's hope we don't need to hink about thawing for a while, yes?

xxx

 
At 02 November, 2009 20:43, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Sounds very good! I also hope you don't have to worry about any future thawing...

 
At 02 November, 2009 20:51, Blogger lucky #2 said...

Crossing my fingers and toes for you too. May the 2WW be busy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home