Friday, December 18, 2009

Break time

Well, there was no meltdown in public thanks to the miracle of voice-mail, but the thaw did fail as expected.
It doesn't need saying that I'm disappointed. I'm also annoyed with the utter waste of time, but that's how this game works.

To answer some of your responses on getting a second opinion, there are a number of reasons why I want to inform my RE of this myself.
He'll probably be notified by the clinic staff when I request my records. I have to get my records before going to Bigger Clinic, because they want to see them at the appointment.

Also I want to keep my RE in the loop, because I hope he would be willing to do preparatory bloodwork and U/S even if I were to cycle with Bigger Clinic. Given that he already cooperates with several clinics, this is conceivable (no pun intended).

But first, I'm taking a small break. I may - gasp - even take a break from blog reading. We'll see.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Save the date

Just a brief note to say I have a hypothetical transfer date, this Saturday. More importantly, I have a real thaw date the day before.
As it happens, Friday is a sort of team building day at work. I can tell you, I really look forward to a meltdown in public.

I still haven't managed to scrape together the courage to tell my RE that I've made an appointment at the Bigger Clinic. I don't exactly expect a bad reaction, but still it's a hurdle.

Saturday, December 05, 2009

The little cycle that wouldn't

So, here we are, trying to do a FET. Three times I've been to the RE for an U/S and bloodwork, over a span of 2 weeks, but we aren't any closer to a transfer date.
Something is going on in there, my lining is developing slowly, very slowly. Each ovary showed a lovely amount of small follicles, but none is taking the lead. My E2 levels refuse to rise.

It crossed my mind to ask my RE if I couldn't convert to an IVF, seeing all those follicles going to waste. Unfortunately, there's no point in asking. The clinic is closing for a week after Christmas, which would be about the time for a retrieval in such a scenario.

I shouldn't be surprised about the sluggish cycle. The exact same thing happened with the FET we tried straight after our first fresh cycle of this year. That time, I had to pull the plug because we were leaving on holiday. This time, there's still some time to wait and see, and take some estrogen pills.

Juggling the appointments with work keeps me well occupied, so much that I almost forget that I'm just expecting another thaw fail phone call at the end of this.

Speaking of failures, I've made an appointment with Bigger Clinic, to do just that. We have to wait until February, but that's still sooner than I expected. In any case I'm taking some time off from A.R.T. after this FET attempt. I'm sick of it and it is making me blue.

Fortunately, I've taken some time off around Christmas to spend lots and lots of time with Linnea. Sing songs, splash in puddles, make drawings, ... She's been asking us "what's that" all the time. Soon it'll be "why? why? why?".