Monday, January 04, 2010

Opening doors

First of all, I want to wish everyone a happy new year. May dreams come true.

2009 was a year marked by ART failures for us. 2010 starts with a short break from ART (interrupted only by a second opinion) ... and an application form to register a spot on a domestic adoption waiting list.
This form was filled in and posted today!

Does this mean we're going to adopt? Probably not, actually. But a door that was shut is now ajar. DH isn't keen to adopt, but he agreed - in the end - to sign the form because he knows the decision is only made much later.  All it means is that in a year from now - maybe two - we should get an invitation to attend the obligatory seminar for candidate adoptive parents. And the wait after that - to being matched - is also counted in years.

A year or two is a long time. I'm speculating that by then, our ART journey will have run it's course, whatever the outcome. Putting ourselves on the waiting list now is a pragmatic decision to put adoption on the table when the time comes.

Back to the more immediate future, I've requested my records from the clinic and alerted my RE that I will be going to Bigger Clinic for a consult. Unlike the dream I had recently in which he furiously demanded who I thought I was to second-guess his approach, he simply noted the news.

I've enjoyed my time off from work and spending it with Linnea. She's a talkative little girl. One morning she gave a running commentary of me dressing. Pants on! Pants on! There socks, there socks! Now t-shirt, now t-shirt! Put clothes on!
She loves Christmas time, especially all the lights and decorations. Tacky is not in her dictionary (oh, the innocence!). She helped decorate our tree, which was an absolute treat for her.

And now I'm back off to read the Crème de la crème list.

9 Comments:

At 05 January, 2010 03:48, Anonymous Orodemniades said...

Cool! I mean, the adoption filing bits, not the end of ART bits (y'know what I mean).

 
At 05 January, 2010 04:31, Blogger My Reality said...

Opening doors is a good thing.

 
At 06 January, 2010 17:17, Blogger Fran said...

Hi, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Thanks for reading my Creme de la Creme post, do you mind me asking where you are in Europe? I think our paths are very similar, we too have started somehow down the road to adoption and the iter is remarkably...identical...we have sent off all our forms last June and we are still here waiting to hear back...how disheartening. Much love, Fran

 
At 08 January, 2010 03:14, Blogger JamieD said...

Thanks for the comment on my post. There is some terrific stuff on the Creme de la Creme list, I am honored to have such great company.

I hope doors continue to open for you in 2010.

 
At 08 January, 2010 22:02, Blogger Melissa G said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

I think you're right that being proactive is the best approach. Even if you're not quite ready yet.

I'm also heading to a different clinic/RE in the coming months. Let's hope the change pays off for the both of us!

Best of luck to you.

 
At 09 January, 2010 04:41, OpenID tragicoptimist said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Your decision to open a door slightly makes so much sense to you, and I wish you luck in the second opinion and all that is to come this year.

On an entirely different note, Linnea is a gorgeous name, it was at the top of names for me when we were trying to choose a name for Zoe.

 
At 11 January, 2010 07:17, Blogger Karen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I wish you the best for 2010! I have a little girl without tacky in her dictionary either. Anything that sparkles or lights up is AWESOME.

 
At 11 January, 2010 12:20, Blogger Bea said...

It sounds like a sensible plan. I am only smacking myself because surely it is a bit self-defeating of them to make the timeline so long they provide themselves with extra work due to people opening doors when they haven't really made up their minds about going through them yet, and then (no doubt) explaining that the timeline is that long because (at least in part) of the volume of prospective AP's in the system. We have the same thing here. It's tiresome.

Anyway. Glad you finally got those records! Bet you feel less stressed about the second opinion now.

Bea

 
At 11 January, 2010 23:45, Blogger Parenthood For Me said...

Thank you for reading and commenting. I appreciate it. I hope 2010 fulfills your dreams of a second child.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home