Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wavering heights

In brief: more wavering about treatment.

I briefly ran the second opinion by my regular RE (does that count as a third opinion?). Basically, I picked his brain about I.M.S.I. - and I'm grateful he let me.

First, I.M.S.I. is still an experimental treatment. The handful of studies that have been published in the past may be promising, they're not enough to conclude that it's truly efficient.
In particular, it isn't cut and dried for which group of patients it is suited. Part of the ongoing research is precisely to find out who might benefit.

Prime candidates are couples who have had discouraging results with ICSI. The hope is that I.M.S.I. will help some of these couples to get better results. The working hypothesis is that well-formed spermatozoa will also contain sound DNA, therefor making higher quality embryo's, ...

The thing to remember when reading the study results, is that they show improvements in a group of patients, not individual couples. If the overall figures show improvements with the new treatment, this is because of the success it brings for a subgroup of patients (who were previously perhaps left emptyhanded), not because all the patients have a little better results.

All good to know, but I'm still not sure whether or not to try it. We have had good results with ICSI, good quality embryos every cycle so far (knock on wood), and we've become parents even. There's no reason to assume adding I.M.S.I. to the mix would do anything more for us. That seems to be my RE's viewpoint.

It's a gamble.

My gut feeling is to give it a try, on the assumption that if it doesn't help it won't hurt (note: higher risk of birth defects than with ICSI is unknown).
DH isn't keen, mostly because of the inconvenience of changing clinic. I sympathize only slightly, since he only has to go once in an entire attempt.

I lie, he'd have to go twice. Bigger Clinic demands we go to injection class (where incidentally all paperwork is signed and you get booked in the schedule). Oh yes, and IVF is explained. I'd be amused, if it wasn't during regular office hours, requiring taking time off from work for both of us. 

The good news is that my RE has agreed to do preparatory scans and blood draws locally, just like before.  That takes away most of the inconvenience of switching.


At 18 February, 2010 00:55, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

It sounds like you're gathering good information and opinions to make your decision. And the local monitoring would make things simpler.

Isn't it nice to have a choice, even if you're not sure which one to make?

At 18 February, 2010 11:56, Blogger Bea said...

I'm always glad they're making advances, but I always wish they could tell me what the answer will be now, whilst I can make use of it. Good luck with your decision.


At 18 February, 2010 19:02, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, it sounds great that your RE is so cooperative -- both in explaining things to you at length and in agreeing to do your scans. Sounds like he really wants this for you! And I agree, it seems worth an attempt, particularly with the inconvenience factor minimized. Hope this new development helps you with your wavering.

(I love your title. Made me laugh out loud!)

At 21 February, 2010 09:36, Anonymous Shazz said...

I say go for it, you have to try as much as you can because if you don't your going to have the what ifs.

Never stop asking questions and giving your thoughts.

Good Luck.

At 22 February, 2010 21:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no harm in trying something new. And if you don't try, will you always wonder what if?

At 23 March, 2010 16:14, Blogger Mike Hussey said...

Doctors don't know what causes infertility in about half the cases in men, but think many men's infertility problems may be rooted in their genes.


Post a Comment

<< Home