Monday, April 12, 2010

Trigger!

In brief: that time again.

The echo this morning showed some nice size follicles on each side,
bloodwork confirmed it's time to trigger - tonight in the middle of
the night. Wednesday is retrieval time.

So far, the switch to Bigger Clinic has been much like staying with
Local Clinic. The protocol is almost the same.
There is one very important difference. Bigger Clinic has a policy of
strict silence. Meaning that you don't get a fert report the day after
retrieval. Calling to ask is pointless, they won't tell.

Why? It's for your own good.
If the fert report is good, it may lead to undue euphoria. Things can
still go awry later.*
If the fert report is bad, it may lead to undue distress. One is all it takes.*

* That was the gist, though I'm formulating it more sharply than they
did. I knew this going in, but that doesn't make me any happier.

I'm unconvinced that it is for *my* good. I know from experience what
the fert report does and doesn't tell me. It tells me whether we're
still in the game or not. That's pretty essential. Not telling is
cruel and inhumane punishment if you ask me, I thought that was
outlawed. Only for criminals?

Already, I have that sinking feeling about this cycle. How on earth am
I going to make my meager hope stretch all the way to transfer (if
there'll be one) without a fert report?

Now I'm off to bed - until trigger time.

5 Comments:

At 13 April, 2010 00:53, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

I hope your trigger does the job and you get lots of good eggs! Yeah, sounds like torture for an experienced IVF patient to *not* get a fert report!

UGH!

 
At 13 April, 2010 15:46, Blogger Sara said...

Ooh ooh! Good luck Lut!

I didn't get fert reports in Korea either. I just got a phone call on day 2 to tell me if it was going to be a 3dt or a 5dt (it was always a 3dt). That was my only clue that there would be a transfer at all. Definitely nervewracking.

 
At 13 April, 2010 16:33, Anonymous Kath said...

Dear Lut, game on! Wishing you oodles of luck for your transfer -- and may the fertilization rate be awesome, even if they don't tell you. I can understand their argument -- sort of -- but I think it might also be a teeeeeensy bit to do with the fact that they don't want to deal with patients' phone calls...

Thinking of you and sending good thoughts for tomorrow and beyond. XO

 
At 14 April, 2010 04:20, Blogger My Reality said...

I don't know if I could handle the lack of fert report. But I guess it really doesn't change anything either way.

 
At 14 April, 2010 22:05, Anonymous Mrs. Hope said...

I hope it went okay today. I would be batty without a fert report, knowing I've had them in the past. I hope, even though you don't know, that you've got a good number growing well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home