Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Have you considered ...

In brief: a post in which I scratch the surface of embryo donation.

DinoD asked whether I would consider trying with donated embryos
(thanks for that question by the way, I had almost forgotten about
that option). So would I? Yes and no.

The law here* dictates that embryo donation has to be absolutely
anonymous (I double checked). Personally, I'm strongly
in favor of a measure of openness. At least, I would want my child to
be able to find out something about it's biological parentage at 18
(or younger even).

Besides that, I doubt we would even be allowed on the waiting list. I
assume donated embryos are reserved for those couples who can't make
their own. Likewise, I presume that having a bio child rules us out.
Even if the law doesn't say so, the clinics' own rules might. I can't
find this info online, oddly.

What about abroad?
When I heard about the 'snowflake programs' in the U.S., I toyed with
the idea. A holiday with an extra special souvenir, wouldn't that be
great.
Thing is, I heard about it in the context of - how to put this - the
ideological tug-of-war about ART. Think the 'every-sperm-is-sacred'
sketch by Monty Python, only without the slightest humorous
intention.

I can't see us getting through the screening of any religiously
inspired program. What can I say, non-practicing is rather the norm
here. I suppose there are secular donation programs too, but I would
have to investigate.

Very briefly, I researched possibilities for embryo donation in
Europe. In a number of countries embryo donation is banned outright,
in others the law allows anonymous donation, and in one or two the law
allows open** embryo adoption.
Interesting to know, however, I noticed lots of talk of very long
waiting lists on the local forums there ... and of trips abroad. In
some countries, clinics advertise embryo donation - no waiting list -
from professional (anonymous) donors! Tempting, I admit. No prices
listed online though.

Didn't the Genius bank have a embryo bank spinoff? No, too bad.


* Not specified where, for the sake of anonymity.
**'Open' meaning that the child has a right of access to information
about his biological parents at 18.

5 Comments:

At 22 July, 2010 03:56, Blogger Pam said...

It's interesting that you should mention embryo donation as that's the exact spot that DH and I have reached. With out final FET being canceled because our embryos didn't survive the thaw, I wasn't ready to say I was done. Our clinic brought up the option of donor embryos which I knew they did but I expected a long wait. I've been told they have alot of embryos but that there would be a wait of at least a year. However, it seems that not everyone on the list had completed a profile. So, because we completed the profile document pretty much immediately we jumped to the top of the queue and only need to complete the mandatory counseling session before we get sent donor profiles. And there is the option for it to be an open donation. So, I don't know if my clinic will work with international clients for this program or not, but you could contact them. You could also look at www.miracleswaiting.org which is a website that facilitates the matching of donor embryos and recipients. There do seem to be other costs associated with donation in the US through this site compared to my clinic, but it's worth looking at if you're considering coming across the pond. Sorry for hijacking your comments. :)

 
At 22 July, 2010 05:50, Anonymous Craig R. Sweet, M.D. said...

Just Google "embryo donation". There are programs out there that are not religiously based. Some do not have waiting lists. It will just take some research.

Our program has been up and running for nine years. We are expanding soon so visit http://www.dreamababy.com/embryo-donation.htm and surf away. I hope you find what you are looking for. Craig R. Sweet, M.D.

 
At 22 July, 2010 16:18, Blogger Roccie said...

Good for you to have some plans. It just feels good to have something in your back pocket should things not turn out as you planned.

August is almost here. You have a couple new tricks up your sleeve.

You can do this.

 
At 22 July, 2010 17:37, Blogger Thalia said...

You are so thorough ;-)

Worth contacting our mutual online friend who has gone through embryo donation? She went through a lot to get it right, and has very open connections with the biological parents.

But in the meantime, perhaps you won't need plans B through Z!

 
At 24 July, 2010 15:00, Blogger My Reality said...

And look at that - a link for donor embryos right in your comments.

I would totally consider a donor embryo. It allows for control or prenatal care and that kind of thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home